This a good and delish pie that is well worth the work!!!
- 2cps cooked, mashed pumpkin. (cooking instructions below).
- 1 (12oz) can evaporated milk.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Crust Ingrediants. (this is optional, can use store bought but be sure to poke holes in bottem and sides and prebake so pie isn’t watery at the bottem.)
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
2. Halve your pumpkin ( choose your size carfully, used a large one from the patch, made 6-8 pies!!) and clean out the seeds and stringy portions. Then cut pumpkin into chunks.
3. Boil pumpkin chunks (yes leave the skin on the pumpkin chunks) until tender. Drain from water.
4. Run pumpkin chunks under cold water, or wait till cool enough for you to touch them. Take a pumpkin chunk and squeeze (or scoop out of) skin till pumpkin is seperated from skin. Put the seperated pumpkin in a bowl. Beat with hand held mixer till pureed(mashed).
Prepareing pie crusts (optional)
1.Prepare pie crusts by mixing together the flour and salt
cut shortening into flour, add 1 tbls water to mixtureat a time. Mix dough and repeat until dough is most enough to hold together.
2. With lightly floured hands shape dough into a ball. On a lightly floured board role dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. With sharp knife, cut dough into 1 1/2 inch larger than the upside down 8-9 in pie pan. Gently roll the dough around the rolling pin and transfer it right side up on to the pie pan. Unroll ease dough into bottem of pie pan.
Pumpkin pie cont.
5. In a large bowl with mixer on medium, beat pumpkin with evaporated milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix well. Pour int o prepared pie crusts. Bake 40 min (regardless of pie crust) or until when a knife is inserted 1in from the edge comes out clean.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment