This is a Martha Stewart recipe. I wasn’t able to find any caramel buttercream recipes on cakecentral by searching, so figured I’d share this one as it is yummy!
I made some last night using home-made dulce de luche for the caramel. It was pale in colour, and the caramel flavour was subtle, it was really nice! It piped easily onto cupcakes, and crusted quite quickly. In the directions she mentions adding milk at two different points. I’m not sure what that’s all about, I just added the two tablespoons along with the other wet ingredients, and figured if I wanted a thinner icing I’d add more later at the second point she mentions it. However I liked the consistency so didn’t add any extra.
- 1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups (approx. 1lb) icing/confectioner sugar sifted
- Cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add caramel, milk and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored for two weeks. Re-whip before using.
Yields 3 cups.