I use an extended cake mix exclusively (except for pumpkin spice) for all my cakes and came up with this Chai Spice after doing some experimenting. I pair it up with Cinnamon Buttercream. Hope you like it!
- 1 box DH Classic White Cake mix
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon each of ground Cinnamon, Cloves, and Ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon white popcorn salt (found in the popcorn aisle)
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup water steeped with 3 black chai tea bags to end up with 1 1/3 cup
- Sift together the cake mix with all of the dry ingredients. Place all of the wet ingredients into a KA mixing bowl and mix on low until blended. Add your dry ingredients and mix on low until just blended. Turn mixer speed up one level and beat for 2 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen cupcakes or (2) 8/9″ rounds, (1) 10″ round or square, a 9×13 or a 10×15 layer. I always bake at 325 degrees so the cupcakes will take about 20-25 minutes. This recipe is great with Cinnamon buttercream!
LOVE Chai...can't wait to try...I will report back soon!!!
CANNOT wait to try this....One of my BFF's just looooves chai. I shall post later on results. THANKS!
Ok, just baked 24 FULL cupcakes and three Wilton jumbo cupcakes. I hate fooling with egg whites, so I used 2 whole large eggs. I also could not for the life of me find Caradamom, so I used 1 tsp. Allspice instead for a little kick. I really want to use Caradamom, I'll have to find on web I guess. Anyways, these cupcakes baked up nice and full, filled the house with wonderful smells of spices and tasted AWWWWWWESOME!
this may sound silly but i have never heard of popcorn salt..not here in aust :( would regular salt not work?? thank you!
popcorn salt is just really fine grain salt, regular salt does work too! You may find some in the snack aisle of a grocery store where microwave popcorn is sold if you're wanting to find some though.
I find ground cardamon at almost any grocery store in the spice area. Yes, you can use regular salt, I just use popcorn salt because it is finer grained and incorporates better.
do you have a good recipe for the cinnamon buttercream that you normally use to accompany this that you can share?!? pretty please?! I work at starbucks and everyone i work with are all chai drinkers, so this would be fabulous to try to make for our work potluck!!
Here is the Cinnamon BC recipe I use: 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, 3 3/4 cups PS, 3-4 TBS. milk, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Mix butter till fluffy, and the rest of the ingredients and mix until light and fluffy. Decrease or add milk according to your preference.
Is this a sturdy cake that can be used for carving? I'm wanting to use this for a pillow cake. Thanks!...this sounds delicious! Thanks for the BC recipe too :-)
This is basically a version of WASC so if you carve with that, you can carve this but only after letting it rest a day and partially frozen.
That's great...I do use the WASC alot! Thanks Christeena!
i made these cupcakes today and they were soooo good!
OMG! Tried these this past weekend. Nothing but rave reviews from everyone!! This is a keeper:)
Login To Leave A Comment