Fruit filled cake topped with whip cream. Yummy! My Mom, Corina Compagner, has been making this recipe for Christmas for over 30 years.
Snow on the Mountain
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 oranges, peeled and cut into 5 or 6 pieces
- 3 bananas, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch pan.
2 In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs and 1 cup of sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the egg mixture. Then, stir in the dates, walnuts and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan.
3 Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool on the pan on a wire rack. When the cake is cooled, break into bite sized pieces. Stir the cake pieces together with the oranges, bananas and remaining sugar. Press into a medium sized bowl and chill for several hours.
4 Invert cake onto a serving plate. Whip the heavy cream with the confectioners; sugar and vanilla until stiff. Spread over the entire cake.