Delicious vanilla sponge cake which is light but moist. I use this for any white/vanilla sponge… so moreish especially when using the vanilla pods.
Credit to BBC Good Food website.
- 250g pack unsalted butter , softened, plus extra for greasing
- 250g golden caster sugar
- seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 5 large eggs , cracked into a jug
- 85g plain flour
- 100g full-fat Greek yogurt (I used Total)
- 250g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease a round, deep 20cm tin, then line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
Using electric beaters or a tabletop mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and ¼ tsp salt together until pale and fluffy, then pour in the eggs, one at a time, giving the mix a really good beating before adding the next. Add 1 tbsp of the plain flour if the mix starts to look slimy rather than fluffy. Beat in the yogurt.
Mix the flours; then, using a large metal spoon, fold them into the batter, followed by the milk. Spoon the mix into the tin and bake for 1 hr 20 mins or until well risen and golden – a skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean.