I found this recipe in The Australian Women’s weekly Cake decorating book a few years back. It produces a firm, dense cake perfect for carving, wedding cakes etc. It holds rolled fondant well and won’t become a moist mess like standard carrot cake recipes. The recipe below needs to be mixed by hand in a large bowl. Recipe is for a 22cm round or 19cm square pan. For a 30cm round or 28cm square- just double the ingredients. I always add about 400 grms of chopped walnuts aswell.
- 1 1/2 cups SR flour
- 1 cup Plain flour
- 1 tsp Bicarb soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2tsp Nutmeg
- 1 cup Brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 3 cups coarsly grated carrot
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1. Sift Flours, soda, spices and sugar in bowl.
2.Add carrot, stir in combined oil, eggs and sour cream, do not overmix
3. Add optional walnuts if using
4. Bake at 160 degrees celsius (I think that’s about 350 farenheit) until a skewer comes out clean- All ovens are different- I would do about 45 mins-1 hour -could be more or less