I was never a big fan of coconut cakes untill someone brought this to a chuch function and said you will fall in love with this cake.. just take one bite. After one bite I HAD to have the recipe! Now everyone even the kids ask for this cake!
- 1 box yellow butter cake mix (or any home made butter cake recipe will do)
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4-1/2 bag of coconut (depeneds on how much coconut you like)
- 1 16 oz can of crushed pineapple (drained really well)
- 2 12 oz tubs of cool whip
- (optional) 1 small container of cream cheese
- 1 Mcdonalds straw
Bake cake accrording to directions.
While baking,in a seperate container, mix the coconut milk and the sweetened condensed milk.
Once the cake is out of the oven poke holes with the straw all over the cake. This is to help the liquid soak in. Proceed to poor all of the milk over the cake. Sprinkle as much coconut as you want over the milk and cover with wrap and put in the fridge for at least a few hours, but its better if left over night.
Now here is where your options come in. If you want it to have a neat star design you can mix both tubs of cool whip with the cream cheese and it makes it thick enough to pipe with a star tip. I just use a large gage tip and make thick stars that fill the whole cake.
If you are not a fan of cream cheese just leave it out .. smooth the cool whip over top and then sprinkle the crushed pineapple over the top and sprinkle with just enough coconut to decorate the top!