I used this recipe on a wedding cake and it turned out great! The meringue powder gives it a slight “crust” while keeping the icing below moist and soft. Has a nice consistency for icing and piping.
- 1 C Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 1 C Vegetable Shortening (regular- not butter flavored)
- 2 Lbs Powdered / Confectioner’s Sugar (about 8 Cups)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Meringue Powder
- 1 tsp Clear Vanilla
- 1 tsp Almond Extract (Optional: Add additional 1/2 tsp Almond- or use other desired flavored extract in replacement of Almond)
- 4 oz Heavy Whipping Cream (about 1/2 Cup)
- Approx 2 tsp White-White Icing Color
- 1) In a large bowl, Cream Butter and Shortening until fluffy.
2) Add the 2 lbs powdered sugar, meringue powder and 2 oz whipping cream until well blended.
3) Add extracts and up to 2 oz more of the whipping cream until well blended and fluffy.
4) Add the white-white icing color until the correct “whiteness” is achieved.