I have been using this recipe for years. It was actually passed down to me from my mother. She owned a bakery in Charleston, South Carolina and this is the recipe we used. It will hold-up well in various temperatures, including the heat and humidity. This recipe can be used for white buttercream, off white buttercream (add vanilla), or chocolate buttercream (add semi-sweet liquid chocolate and powered coco).
- 1 pound Crisco Shortening (Must use Crisco…tried other brands and did not turn out the same)
- 4 pounds powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup of water (add more by the teaspoon if it is too stiff)
- 1 Tablespoon of flavoring (I use a mixture of clear vanilla, butter, and almond)
2) Add powdered sugar, water, and flavoring.
3) I usually let it beat for 5 to 7 minutes at least. I will stop and scrape the sides of the bowl and then mix for another few minutes.