This was a favorite of mine! It was my grandmotherâs recipe for her Coffee Cake.
- â¢ 3 Â½ cups of sifted plain flour
- â¢ 1 Â½ tsp. of baking powder
- â¢ 1 Â½ tsp. of baking soda
- â¢ Â½ tsp. of salt
- â¢ Â¾ cup of softened margarine
- â¢ 1 Â½ cups of sugar
- â¢ 3 eggs
- â¢ 1 Â½ cups of sour cream
- â¢ Â½ cup of beer
- â¢ 1 Â½ tsp. of vanilla
- â¢ Â½ cup of sugar
- â¢ 2 tsp. of cinnamon
- â¢ 2/3 cup of chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ï°
2. Grease and flour a bunt pan
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
4. In a separate bowl, cream the margarine and sugar
5. Add eggs, sour cream, beer, and vanilla to the sugar mixture
6. Stir or beat vigorously for two minutes
7. Add dry ingredients gradually, mixing until well blended
8. In another bowl, mix the filling items together
9. Pour 1/3 batter into the bunt pan, then sprinkle with 1/3 of the filling
10. Add the rest of the batter and filling by thirds, so that the last third of the filling tops the cake
11. Bake at 350ï° for 1 hour or until cakes tests done
12. Cool in pan 15 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack
Yields = 1 bunt cake
Hi, Sounds good! Please can you tell me what a bunt cake is as I'm in UK and not familiar with the term, also can the beer be substituted with anything else i.e coffee dissolved in water?
It is a special type of tube pan that was very popular here in America in the 70's. They are available on many websites.
I have never used anything but beer.
I tried this recipe this morning on my family! They loved it! We tried it pretty much right out of the oven and it was oh - so - good! Thanks for sharing!
Awhhhh, thank you so much. I am so happy you enjoyed it!
I made this yesterday and all are agreed that it is really scrummy.
I'am going to try this Saturday. I have been looking for the perfect coffee cake recipe that is flavorfull and not dry. I will post the results.
When you say plain flour, do you mean all purpose flour? TU...
Can you bake it in a regular round pan? IF so how long it would be the baking time? Does it taste like coffee or is just the name? THanks
Yes, plain flour is all purpose flour. As far as baking it in a regular pan, I have never tried it that way. The cake does not taste like coffee, it's called that because that is one of the ingredients.
OK, I know it's early, but your last comment, Geechigirl, you state it's named a coffee cake because it's one of the ingredients. I don't see coffee listed =/ ?
coffee is supposed to be in the ingredients, right? how much of it should i put in? i don't see it in your list.
Its actually called a coffee cake, because its a cake you are supposed to eat in the morning with your cup of coffee..
Ok I had to make this cake. Yum!! I made a 1/2 batch more on the cinnamon and sugar and pecan mix. I baked the cake 9 minutes short of the 1 hour. I actually think I could of pulled it out of the oven even a few minutes faster. I asked my spouse as far as cakes go what would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 and he gave it a 7. So that is good. Very good cake!
Oh and for what it is worth I gave it a 10! As far as coffee cakes go this is top notch. It is moist it is not to sweet great texture fluffy not stiff like a pound cake at all. Not to fluffy either just perfect!!! Yum!!!
YUM!!! This was really good.
Login To Leave A Comment