This recipe for Crusting Buttercream will help you achieve that perfect faux fondant finish.
Crusting ButterCream (Faux Fondant)
2 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon meringue powder
1 cup shortening
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Whip meringue powder with water
2. Switch to paddle and add confectioners’ sugar
Beat well. Add shortening half way through addition of sugar.
*Add salt and flavoring (if you want).
3. Beat at low speed until smooth, about 5 min.
* It will crust on the outside but stay moist on the inside.
* Store in air-tight container.
* Re-whip before using again.
* You can freeze it or refrigerate it for a couple of weeks, but best if used asap.