A very good friend shared this “Tried-and-True” family recipe with me. It has been a favorite ever since, especially for those pink cakes for baby showers. The cake is moist with a fine crumb. Nuts are an optional addition, but I have omitted them for the majority of the orders I have had for this cake due to nut allergies becoming so common.
- 2/3 Cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 5 egg whites, beaten until stiff peaks form
- 2 2/3 Cups flour, unsifted
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup Maraschino cherry juice
- 16 Maraschino cherries, cut into eighths
- 1/2 Cup chopped nuts (optional) (I use pecans)
1. Grease and flour two 9-inch pans.
2. Cream together butter and sugar
3. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together.
4. Mix milk and cherry juice together.
5. Add flour mixture to creamed butter and sugar mixture, alternating with milk and cherry juice mixture, in thirds.
6. Stir in chopped cherries and (optional) nuts.
7. Gently fold in egg whites until well incorporated into batter.
8. Pour into pans
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
Serving suggestions: All three have been big hits with my clients!
1. Fill and frost with your favorite butter cream frosting.
2. Fill with chocolate mousse.
3. Fill with raspberry sauce.