This is my new favorite Christmas recipe! Nice, cakey consistency (NOT a pound cake) and delicious flavor. I made cake balls from this and they turned out great.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- ¾ cup whole milk OR eggnog (I used goat’s milk)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 8-inch round pans.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and shortening with a hand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. In a measuring cup, add the rum extract to the milk and stir. Alternate adding the dry and wet mixtures to the butter/shortening combination, starting and ending with flour. Mix until just incorporated.
5. Pour into prepared pans and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Frosting idea: add some rum extract to a vanilla frosting. For cake balls, they are yummy dipped in yogurt coating.