This is my new favorite Christmas recipe! Nice, cakey consistency (NOT a pound cake) and delicious flavor. I made cake balls from this and they turned out great.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Â¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup white sugar
- Â¼ cup butter, softened
- Â¼ cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- Â¾ cup whole milk OR eggnog (I used goatâs milk)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 8-inch round pans.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and shortening with a hand mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. In a measuring cup, add the rum extract to the milk and stir. Alternate adding the dry and wet mixtures to the butter/shortening combination, starting and ending with flour. Mix until just incorporated.
5. Pour into prepared pans and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Frosting idea: add some rum extract to a vanilla frosting. For cake balls, they are yummy dipped in yogurt coating.
The ingredients says sour cream is needed but it's not mentioed in the directions. When do you put the sour cream in the mix
Login To Leave A Comment