A very rich cake and one of my favorites.
Mississippi Mud Cake I
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces marshmallow creme
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 teaspoons evaporated milk
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 13×9 inch baking pan.
2 Cream together 1/3 cup of the cocoa, white sugar, and 1 cup of the butter or margarine until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla and beat well.
3 Mix flour, baking powder, coconut, and chopped pecans together. Stir flour mixture into the egg mixture and stir until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
4 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 50 minutes. Smooth marshmallow cream over top of cake while still hot. Let cake cool completely then ice with chocolate icing.
5 To Make Chocolate Icing: Beat together the confectioner’s sugar, the remaining 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 cup butter or margarine. Continue to beat and add enough evaporated milk to make icing spread on cake.