A finalist in the 2000 Share The Very Best Recipe Contest, this recipe was submitted by Helen Conwell of Fairhope, AL. This Southern-style twist on carrot cake combines mashed sweet potatoes with pecans, brown sugar, spices and semi-sweet chocolate morsels for a moist cake topped off with a creamy white icing.
Brown-Eyed Susan Sweet Potato Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (16 ounce) can mashed sweet potatoes or unsweetened sweet potatoes, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup water
- CREAMY PREMIER WHITE ICING:
- 3/4 cup NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
1 PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour one 13 x9-inch or two 9-inch-round baking pans.
2 COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger in small bowl. Combine sweet potatoes, granulated sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add oil; beat until well blended. Stir in morsels, pecans and water. Stir in flour mixture; mix until blended. Pour into prepared pan(s).
3 BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan(s) on wire rack(s). For layer cakes, remove from pans after 10 minutes. Frost with Creamy Premier White Icing.
4 FOR CREAMY PREMIER WHITE ICING: MICROWAVE morsels and butter in small, microwave-safe mixer bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70 percent) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
5 BEAT cream cheese and sour cream into morsel mixture until creamy. Add vanilla extract and almond extract. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.