This icing/frosting is rich and yummy and is better served at room temperature. Once chilled it becomes hard and fudge like. It is a great base for black icing for decorating, the strong fudge flavor over powers the black paste coloring.
- 1/2 Cup Margarine, softened
- 1/2 Cup +1 Tbls Vegetable Shortening
- 5 Cups 10X Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips (Ghirardelli is my preference)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- 4 Tbls Milk
- Mix margarine and 1/2 cup shortening until blended. Slowly add 4 cups powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 tbls of milk until creamy, set aside. Melt chips with 1 tbs shortening, mix until syrup like. This can be done in microwaveâ¦do not over heat. Poor chocolate into icing and mix well slowly adding additional cup of sugar alternting with 1-2 tbs of milk. Mix until creamy. Add black color paste if desired. Spread onto your favorite cake. Makes about 4 cups of icing. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Allow icing to sit until room temperature, then mix before spreading on cake.
Will this icing crust?
Can you use butter intstead of margarine? We don't use margarine and hate the taste.
I would mix in 1 tbs of Meringue powder into the powdered sugar before adding to mixture and that will make it crust.
how much butter should I use in place of margarine? (margarine is one chemical compound away from plastic)
has anyone tried this? I'm wanting to try it but wondering why the rating is so low? I wouldn't use margarine either, should be a straight substitution for butter - same amount.
what is 10X powder sugar??? is it the same as regular powder sugar ?
10X just means it's sifted 10 times more then what's considered to be "normal". But just an fyi, I make so much icing that I buy generic powdered sugar and off-brand names (like bulk at Sam's or store brand at Albertsons) and it's just fine and usually is also "10x" like the name brand. Personal preference I suppose! :)
I have made this several times and it is AMAZING!!! Every one Raves about it!!!! Thanks Msjenn for sharing!!!!!
Can you use butter instead of margarien?
Yes I often substitute butter for the margarine. It is a 1-1 ratio. Margarine has no cholesterol, high cholesterol is a problem in my family. It crusts just fine without meringue powder.
Login To Leave A Comment