This icing/frosting is rich and yummy and is better served at room temperature. Once chilled it becomes hard and fudge like. It is a great base for black icing for decorating, the strong fudge flavor over powers the black paste coloring.
- 1/2 Cup Margarine, softened
- 1/2 Cup +1 Tbls Vegetable Shortening
- 5 Cups 10X Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips (Ghirardelli is my preference)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- 4 Tbls Milk
- Mix margarine and 1/2 cup shortening until blended. Slowly add 4 cups powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 tbls of milk until creamy, set aside. Melt chips with 1 tbs shortening, mix until syrup like. This can be done in microwave…do not over heat. Poor chocolate into icing and mix well slowly adding additional cup of sugar alternting with 1-2 tbs of milk. Mix until creamy. Add black color paste if desired. Spread onto your favorite cake. Makes about 4 cups of icing. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Allow icing to sit until room temperature, then mix before spreading on cake.