Makes an elegant presentation without too much fuss.
Strawberries and Cream Cake
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberries, pureed
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups quartered strawberries
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
2 In a large bowl, beat sugar, gelatin and butter until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Mix flour and baking powder, and beat alternately with the milk into the sugar mixture. Fold in 1 teaspoon vanilla and pureed strawberries. Divide equally into three 9 inch round cake pans.
3 Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then remove from pans and cool completely.
4 To make the filling: Beat whipping cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla on high until stiff. Fill each layer with 1/3 of the whipped cream and 3/4 cup sliced strawberries.
5 To make the frosting: Beat the margarine, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Spread over the sides of the cake, and pipe an edge of frosting around the top of the cake.
6 Spread remaining whipped cream on cake top. Top with quartered strawberries.