Posted by JackieThis recipe is GREAT when using complex cookie cutters. The dough holds its' shape and won't spread during baking. Make sure you let your oven preheat for at least 1/2 hour before baking these or any other cookies.
No Fail Sugar Cookies - NFSC
- 6 cups flour 3 tsp. baking powder 2 cups unsalted butter 2 cups sugar (white granulated) 2 eggs 2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I like almond myself) 1 tsp. salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours (or see Hint below)
- Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees F (176 C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. This recipe can make up to 5-dozen 3" cookies.
HINT: Rolling Out Dough Without the Mess
- Rather than wait for your cookie dough to chill, take the freshly made dough and place a glob between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Roll it out to the desired thickness then place the dough and paper on a cookie sheet and pop it into the refrigerator.
- Continue rolling out your dough between sheets of paper until you have used it all. By the time you are finished, the first batch will be completely chilled and ready to cut.
- Reroll leftover dough and repeat the process! An added bonus is that you are not adding any additional flour to your cookies.