Best Icing For Cookies

Baking By anjaligg Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 1:13am by bakingmama18

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 43

What do you think is the best icing for cookies? Would it be royal, color flow or something other? I have never decorated cookies before and would love to get feedback to get started. Thanks.

Anjali

42 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 43

Depending on what I'm doing, I use either Antonia74's royal icing, or glace. I prefer the taste of the glace, but you can do more intricate piping, etc., with the royal. Hopefully, one of the cookie gurus here on CC will pop in and give you some real advice!!
Good luck with your cookies!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 43

I like Antonia's too

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 43

I've tried a couple recipes of royal but antonia's is by far the best. I tried glace once and it just didnt behave the way I was used to with the royal. Colorflow is royal icing that has had a hardening agent-the colorflow mix- added to it and isnt meant to be eaten. It dries rock hard and will break your teeth.

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 43

Never used anything else, and would never change after using Antonia's recipe. Definitely amazing to work with once you find the right consistency. icon_biggrin.gif

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:30am
post #6 of 43

You'll receive as many answers as there are cookie bakers. I use glace. I agree that it doesn't do some of what royal will do, like hold shapes like leaves and stuff like that. I just think the taste is better and if practice you have really make it do some wonderful things.

anjaligg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anjaligg Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 43

Thank you for all the replies. I will give cookies a shot and see how it goes.

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 43

Don't forget to pair Antonia74's RI with the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe! I just tried both this past week and it worked out great! Good luck! : )

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 43

I ONLY use the NFSC and Antonia74's RI both which are here on CC. The cookie recipe lives up to its name, and the RI, I ship cookies from OK to TX and the East Coast, and it holds well in the shipping process. You can't go wrong with either one.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 43

I always keep RBC on hand. I use Antonia's RI, and usually flood with TG if I have time and gumption to make both, but RBC is an easy, last-minute alternative, because you can detail with RI immediately.

3Sisters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3Sisters Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 43

If you use rolled buttercream on cookies and then detail w/RI, can these cookies be stacked?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 43

I also use Antonia74's RI. I love it!!

shiney Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #13 of 43

3sisters: yes, you can bag and stack RBC with RI detailing. I do it all the time

3Sisters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3Sisters Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 43

Thank you so much Shiney. I'm going to give it a try tonight!

heathandhail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathandhail Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 43

I am trying Antonia's recipe this weekend but just wanted to let you know after reading the thread that Wilton does recommend their ColorFlow icing for their cookies.

I don't really care for any of their icing products but according to Wilton it is meant for eating, on a cookie anyways.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:03am
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

I always keep RBC on hand. I use Antonia's RI, and usually flood with TG if I have time and gumption to make both, but RBC is an easy, last-minute alternative, because you can detail with RI immediately.

What is TG, and do U have a recipe for rolled buttercream? and does it allow U to do a lot of intricate design on cookies?

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:44am
post #17 of 43

I use Antonia's too....and people love it. I don't get any of the complaints that you usually get from royal icing.
I pretty much hate the NFSC recipe though...I just think it doesn't taste very good. (I know....sorry! icon_sad.gif )
I have my own no-fail recipe....well, not my own actually....I got it out of a cookie book.
I only point this out as an illustration . As others have said, you have to just give it a try and see what you like the best. Everyone on here has their own opinion and you will never find a recipe we all will agree on!
Good luck and have fun.
icon_smile.gif

shiney Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #18 of 43

TG is Toba's Glace. It tastes great, but not as easy to work with in detailing as RI. Antonia's RI ROCKS! I suppose you can work with RBC like MMF or fondant. I roll it VERY thin because it's so sweet. There's a recipe here on CC, but I leave out the oils. I also kneed it with more PS than it calls for.
I don't use NFSC either. I have a family sugar cookie recipe that uses shortening instead of butter, and it's not very sweet, which is a nice combo with the very sweet RBC, RI or TG.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:09am
post #19 of 43

This is the icing I use for all my cookies (only slightly different than Toba's, as well as Wilton's Shiny cookie icing):

3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons skim milk (or water, or other type milk)
3 tablespoons corn syrup
15 drops brite white food color (I use Americolor brand)

In a medium size bowl. mix together the milk, corn syrup, and powdered sugar until fully combined (I just use a large spoon). Add the brite white and mix well. You will want the icing to be the consistency of white school glue. To thicken, add more powdered sugar. To thin, add more corn syrup. Divide and color. For outlining, add more powdered sugar until the icing is the consistency of peanut butter. This icing will remain fresh for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator. The decorated cookies do not need to be refrigerated. Even though milk is used, the high sugar content will help prevent spoilage.

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #20 of 43

I've been using RBC for so long and I really love it but I really want to try something else for a change. I'm going to be doing some cookies for a girlfriend reunion and will need to ship them. Would I be crazy to "try something different"? I guess we all need to experiment once in awhile.

Melissa

shiney Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 43

Melissa, why don't you try Antonia's RI, it's wonderful. I think you will really enjoy working with it, you can get so creative!

cookieswithdots Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #22 of 43

I think I will. My reunion is at the beach, so I've decided to do crabs, bikinis, beach bags and flip flops. How long do I need to let the outlining set up before I fill the cookies? Looks like they will ship ok, so, heck, why not????

Melissa

shiney Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:07pm
post #23 of 43

outlining will set up in maybe 10 minutes, but prob less. They will ship nicely. I just roll them (already bagged and tied) in bubble wrap.
Can't wait to see a pic!

cookieswithdots Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 10:27pm
post #24 of 43

I will definitely take pics. I haven't baked all summer, since we had to move my Dad into a Memory Care facility. I miss it so much. I did go to Cake Camp in Vegas, it was so fun. I am making a small purse cake for my granddaughter for her birthday too. The purse cake class I took with Norman Davis was so fun and I learned a lot. What a great guy he is. Anyhoo- back on the baking horse again.

Melissa

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #25 of 43

I prefer Rolled Buttercream for decorating cookies. You just use the same cookie cutter for it that you use for the cookie. It gives you a nice smooth surface to add your details. I use BC for details, but then I don't bag them or ship them.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:50am
post #26 of 43

I tried Antonio74's today (love it!) and used the suggestion of Lorann Cotton Candy oil in it. OMG, it was to die for. That's good stuff.

I also just made my first batch of marshmallow fondant and used it for some cookies. Yummy! And I found it very easy to work with on cookies. Haven't tried it for a cake yet though.

shiney Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #27 of 43

cakemeister, how hard was it to make the MMF? I've never tried it. and where did you get your cotton candy oil? Can you use oil in RI?

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #28 of 43

hi ladies ,can i have antonias recipie ill be very grateful or her site? icon_smile.gif

CookieMeister Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:05am
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by danizabe

hi ladies ,can i have antonias recipie ill be very grateful or her site? icon_smile.gif

just do a search on this site of Antonia74 and it comes right up under the recipes.

CookieMeister Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

cakemeister, how hard was it to make the MMF? I've never tried it. and where did you get your cotton candy oil? Can you use oil in RI?

I used T's marshmallow fondant from the recipe section - it was pretty easy. I used my Kitchenaid for it with the dough hook, even though the author of the recipe didn't seem fond of using the kitchenaid. No problems at all. Well, other than I let my dog lick the bowl I melted the marshmallows in, and he got some of it stuck in his face furr. Whoops. icon_biggrin.gif

I had read just last week on a post on this forum about the cotton candy oil, and I found it at a specialty cake shop in town. Some of the people on the post said it was hard to find and they bought it off e-bay.

I actually never thought about a problem with the oil in the icing, but it didn't break down so all seems good. And it was the best tasting icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%