Purse/handbag Cake

Decorating By pree_spirit Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm by Uniqueask

pree_spirit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pree_spirit Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 23

Hi all. I need help. I am so new to cake decorating especially working with Fondant. I was recently asked to make a Chanel Purse/Handbag cake. So here are my questions

1. How do i make the chain link shoulder strap?

2. This chain strap is usually gold and black/white in colour. How do I achieve a realistic effect? Especially with the gold?

3. Prior to this, everytime I cover a round cake with fondant, it tears on the top edges and also around the bottom close to the board. What am I doing wrong?

Please help. I look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks.

22 replies
Tracye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracye Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 23

1. I use a clay gun with the circle hole to extrude a string, then cut them all the length I want. Then I "glue" the ends closed with tylose glue. After a few links have hardened, I connect them with fresh, soft links, gluing them closed. So you'll start out with a pile of single links, then have piles of three links, then piles of seven links, then piles of fifteen, etc...

2. I colored the links gray when I wanted them to end up silver, and then painted silver on it. I would start out with grey (or black) gumpaste then paint the finishing color on, and yellow gumpaste, and paint gold on top.

3. Sounds like maybe you're rolling it too thin.

HTH

BTW, here's a necklace I did... it had about thirty links, I think. It was a HUGE pain, so know what you're getting into!
LL

pree_spirit Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 23

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate the fact that you took the trouble to reply and post pictures. wonderfulwork and attention to detail you've shown. Thanks again.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 23

Hi, I have attached a picture of one of the chanel bags I have made. This handle is a chain I purchased from a fabric store and I then threaded black ribbon through it. On the top of the cake, I made a round indentation with one of my round cutters and then coloured the circle with gold dust and vodka. The label string was done with my fondant gun and the label was edible icing printed.

Hope this helps.

With regards to your icing tearing, it could be too thin or too heavy and when you are smoothing it on, you are smoothing down rather than in an upward motion. Also make sure that when you drape your icing over the cake, that it is not hanging off the edge of something like your decorating wheel if you are using one, this will also tear the icing.

If you need any other info, please let me know,
Best of luck,
LL
LL

pree_spirit Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 23

Hi Kim thanks so much your info it really helps. I would just like to know if it's not too much trouble, how did you cover that in fondant. This will only be the 5th cake i've done covered in fondant. I imagine that i'd have to cover the sides and back in separate pieces of fondant then make the front flap, right???

Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 23

I covered it in two pieces - front and sides in one piece and then the back and the flap were one piece - so essentially the back came up and over to form the flap on the front. The side pieces were rolled around the back slightly so I did not have any gaps when I added the back part.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any other info.

pree_spirit Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 23

Wow Kim,
I had a look at your website and you're amazing. Thanks for the info again. So happens the request i received was for a pink bag. And your pink bag is amazing!!! The black one looks easier for me to attempt though. I hope....
Did you use a real zip for the pink one?

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 23

Just wanted to say that the Channel bag looks so real, I think I want to try doing one for my birthday. lol

Lomikesa

Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pree_spirit

Wow Kim,
I had a look at your website and you're amazing. Thanks for the info again. So happens the request i received was for a pink bag. And your pink bag is amazing!!! The black one looks easier for me to attempt though. I hope....
Did you use a real zip for the pink one?

This zip is fondant - I just scored the pattern in the icing and painted it with silver dust and vodka.

Thanks for your kinds words,

pree_spirit Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 23

Kim I need help. My client has come back with a request to the exact looking pink cake you did. Could you please tell me how you

1. covered the cake?
2. did the detailing?

Looking forward to your reply.

God Bless

Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #11 of 23
Quote:

Kim I need help. My client has come back with a request to the exact looking pink cake you did. Could you please tell me how you

1. covered the cake?
2. did the detailing?

no problems at all icon_wink.gif - I have made up some instructions - hopefully you should be able to print them and read them okay. Let me know if this does not work and I can email you the pictures instead. I hope that they are easy enough to follow, I am not too good on instructions. Best of luck with it, if you need any help, don't hesitate to contact me - go bake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

PS. would love to see a picture of the finished product.
LL
LL
LL

pree_spirit Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 23

God Bless you Kim. You are so kind. Thank you so much for all your help. I pray that The Good Lord will prosper you in all ways.

I am going to be making this tomorrow. Will post the pics.
Thanks again

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #13 of 23

Awesome instructions! Thanks for sharing!!

Makeitmemorable Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #14 of 23
Quote:

God Bless you Kim. You are so kind. Thank you so much for all your help. I pray that The Good Lord will prosper you in all ways.

I am going to be making this tomorrow. Will post the pics.
Thanks again

Pleasure icon_smile.gif - good luck with it thumbs_up.gif , look forward to seeing the pics

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:17am
post #15 of 23

fabulous..thank-you for the details!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:30pm
post #16 of 23

Yes Kim thank you for sharing with us.

pree_spirit Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #17 of 23

Hi Kim, heres a picture of the cake I did. It's not as perfect as yours but it's a start I guess. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge

Also do you have a recipe for fondant. I tried making mmf but it didn't quite turn out right. I usually use bakels pettinence but was thinking of making my own.

Pree icon_smile.gif

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 10:57pm
post #18 of 23

Thanks also kim

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:23am
post #19 of 23

Makeitmemorable

That cake is freeking awesome!! Thank you for sharing.

Makeitmemorable Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:21pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:

Hi Kim, heres a picture of the cake I did. It's not as perfect as yours but it's a start I guess. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge

Also do you have a recipe for fondant. I tried making mmf but it didn't quite turn out right. I usually use bakels pettinence but was thinking of making my own.
Pree icon_smile.gif

Hi Pree, there is no picture posted ouch.gif Would love to see your creation !

Fondant - the only fondant I use is Bakels Pettinence - I have never made my own, I am always happy with this one, I think if its not broken, don't fix it!
I am pleased everyone has made good use of the instructions.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #21 of 23

Thanks for sharing..

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #22 of 23

Fanominal job!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #23 of 23

Thank you Kim for the instructions, I am going to try them too, as my first purse cake was a total disaster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%