Opinions On This Business Name, Ideas For Logo

Business By Larkin121 Updated 5 Aug 2009 , 3:41pm by dailey

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 35

Everyone here has such good ideas, I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

Back when I first started saying I wanted to sell my baked goods (and this was before I got into decorating, reall), my husband told me that he'd support me but that I had to use Sweet Cup 'N Cakes as a bakery name. It's something we once thought was really funny, a skit from a website called Homestar Runner. (Spelled differently there, not an actual store, etc etc). Anyway, I thought it was cute because it implied both cupcakes and cake, which is what I wanted. I've always talked about my potential business in terms of that name.

Now that I've gotten into the decorating side more, I'm wondering if it's too cutesy? If you saw that name on a list of potential places to make a cake for you, would you think it sounded like a quality place? Now, mind you, I do love fun cakes and don't want to only do super classy wedding cakes, so fun is fine, but I just don't want it to sound tacky or too childlike.

That name, fyi, is not the name of any bakeries in my area, as far as I can tell and a google search only turns up a Canadian company.

I just want something more fun than "Sabrina's Cakes" or "Cakes by Sabrina." And I want something I can grow with, so if I want to expand someday and offer desserts and other baked goods, I could.

Lastly, if that were my name, do you have any thoughts for a logo? A friend of ours is a graphic designer and will do one for me for free as a favor if I can tell him pretty much exactly what I want, but I have NO idea!

34 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 35

I guess it would depend on how high end you wanted to sound. I like your name & I don't think it will detract from your clients base. Its better then soemthing typical like "A Piece of Cake" or any other "of Cake" versions there are & its not a generic "Cakes by Sabrina". What would make me decide if I saw you name is how your logo looked and the impression your website made.

bakingmama216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmama216 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 35

I Like it i think it is cute and fun and it jumps out.i would def call your place if i saw it listed with blah blah bakery.it unique.as far as a logo i would say try vistaprint.com..you can make your own logo there and you get free stuff i order all my business stuff from there.my business name is Made With Love Cakes and my logo is a stacked cartoon like wedding cake with a heart on top..i found it on vistaprint..best of luck to you

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 35

I like it and don't think its too cutesy. I think it will stand out.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:06am
post #5 of 35

As far a logo goes, why not a cupcake on top a piece of cake on top of a cake, on a cake plate stand, topsy turvy style. Does that make any sense?

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #6 of 35

I saw the name and IMMEDIATELY thought of Homestar Runner... Heh... I think you might get some niche crowd with that name! Too funny! It made my little bros laugh that someone is actually using it! I think it's good...

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:24am
post #7 of 35

how's this for an idea?

the font is Aladdin.

clip art is stock art in MS Publisher and Word
LL

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:43am
post #8 of 35

I like it!!! It's just cute enough, without sounding childish. Shall we say youthful and fun - perfect for a cake artist!

And Doug --- You are too good! I love the graphics. Just like the name - cute, youthful and fun - Perfect!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:33am
post #9 of 35

That much black is very harsh on the eye. Why not try medium or dark grey instead?

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:45am
post #10 of 35

One thing to consider as well is how the size of your logo will "shrink" down onto a business card or stationery. You may need to resize some of the fonts in Doug's example to make sure that when you put it on your printed materials, it's still as readable as you'd like it to be! Good luck from another Sabrina! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:27am
post #11 of 35

I like the name! And I think Doug's logo is cute as well. It's big right now, but once you get it on a piece of paper, in the right proportion, it will be super cute!

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:07pm
post #12 of 35

for those complaining about my design:

1) it's just a suggestion -- a rough, quick mock-up -- not a final product -- the equivalent of a cake sketch if you will.

2) re the black -- what looks harsh large will look very different small. and gray is NOT always the answer - she may wish to use a theme color instead. the important factors are high enough contrast for readability, cost of reproduction. A more common concern is the use of reverse type: white on black as with the > 'n.

3) note that she said she has a graphic designer friend who will create the actual logo but needed ideas to take to him. That's this, an idea. Ten to one he's got more fonts at his disposal, definitely more time (this thrown together in about 15 minutes) and the ability to custom draw the lettering, as well as churn out multiple sizes and variants designed for different forms of reproduction (example a web graphic is absolutely terrible to use for printed publications -- you two different custom tailored graphics).

---

and there's more than one way to put a logo on stationery or a business card --- it doesn't have to be a little image in the corner somewhere. Another method that can look quite nice is to do the logo as a large watermark (very faint image) that covers the page or card. Again, that's why we have graphic artists.

---

here it is reduced to avatar size. Yes, the font will have to be adjusted as well as the art. It's one of the conundrums of graphic design that what reads well large won't necessarily read well small and vice versa.

Note how neither the cuppy nor the cake read well small either. But then that's the idea of a sketch -- to create a starting point from which to work to achieve the final result.

----

Here's a challenge -- let's see the rest of you draw her up logo suggestions and post them here for her.
LL

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:28pm
post #13 of 35

I like Doug's comp design! There's a fun creativity in it (and in his brain!). I like seeing images and words intertwined visually.

There was one CC'er on here last year (sorry, can't remember exactly whom) who designed her logo by using the letters of her bakery name as the cake design itself. Hard to explain, but it was really good.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 35

I think it was very kind of Doug to take his time and energy to put together a sample idea to be brought to the graphic designer. He did this graciously, without being asked, and without anything to gain from it - A/K/A from the goodness of his heart.

I did not see anyone else do the same. I'm sure the OP would love to hear everyone's ideas an suggestions, but I find it rude that others would pick apart Doug's idea.

I think the idea is great. If it were for my business would there be some changes I would make? Sure. But offering suggestions is very different than chopping him off at the knees. Sometimes I think people need to proof their posts for how their words will be perceived.

As the saying goes - if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 35

Um..... I don't see anyone complaining. Folks just said what they thought, and no one was rude.

Sheesh, some people need to unclench and not take things so personally.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:36pm
post #16 of 35

Doug, it was super nice of you and it is very cute! You are ALWAYS will to help all of us.

I think the name is cute, as well. I like that there is a meaning behind it between you and hubby, too.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #17 of 35

Nice job, Doug! How wonderful of you to do that!

I think the name is great! I really like that it is different from the norm. It explains what you are doing well and has a fun touch of whimsy that causes one to remember it. I don't think it is too cutesy or childlike at all.

As for the logo... bingo! I really like what Doug has done. thumbs_up.gif

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:04pm
post #18 of 35

Great job Doug, I don't think anyone else could come up with something so quickly and you are right, the graphic designer will probably 'tart' it up a bit but it's a great start.

As for the name of the business, it's great - once word gets around about how good you are, the name won't matter anymore, it's your reputation that will take you places!

Good luck with it

Jadeis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jadeis Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #19 of 35

Here's a logo that I made. I love to play around with that sort of thing. icon_smile.gif
LL

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:10pm
post #20 of 35

Jadeis, I love that logo!

lozpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lozpa Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #21 of 35

I like the design, Doug, you have an eye and great design. I would suggest changing the black to blue to tone down the boldness, Noew i have a thought, you mentioned that the graphic are from MS publisher and Word....(Nice to find someone else who like to design using word) would it be legal for her to use those art clips, or should she find someone to draw up a cupcake and cake for her. that way she does not have any legal draw backs. I was just thinking as a friend used some art clips from online and now is facing legal charges. The Font is COOL.

monica

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #22 of 35

Doug - I hope you didn't think that I was complaining about your design! On the contrary, as I said, I thought that it was a great design. I knew that you made it that big to show everyone and that it would obviously be re-sized.

Anyway, you are really awesome! You are always going out of your way to design things for people.

I think you need the spotlight!

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozpa

I like the design, Doug, you have an eye and great design. I would suggest changing the black to blue to tone down the boldness, Noew i have a thought, you mentioned that the graphic are from MS publisher and Word....(Nice to find someone else who like to design using word) would it be legal for her to use those art clips, or should she find someone to draw up a cupcake and cake for her. that way she does not have any legal draw backs. I was just thinking as a friend used some art clips from online and now is facing legal charges. The Font is COOL.

monica

geesh - you'd think they could make this info easier to find!!!

so....straight from the MS website - legal notices section:

and I quote (take note of #4 & 5 especially)

"Clip Art

The Microsoft Clip Art Gallery provides a compilation of artwork for your personal use. Microsoft licenses some of the artwork from third parties and therefore cannot grant permission for you to redistribute the artwork. For more information on the terms of use, refer to the End User License Agreement (EULA) that accompanied the product from which you obtained the clip art. If you obtained the artwork from Office Online, you can find the EULA at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX100667421033.aspx.

Many other product EULAs are available at http://www.microsoft.com/legal/useterms/.

The following guidelines apply to the use of clip art:

1. You may use clip art in your school assignments and projects.

2. You may use clip art in your church brochure.

3. You may use clip art for personal, noncommercial uses.

4. You may not use clip art to advertise your business.

5. You may not use clip art to create a company logo.
(emphasis added)

6. You may not use clip art to illustrate the chapters of a book."

so there you have it, we can use it to dummy up things, but then need to buy artwork or have it custom drawn for us.

lozpa Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:10pm
post #24 of 35

I'm sorry if you took my comment the wrong way. I was just asking a question. because of what my friend is currently go through. I didn't want to see anyone go through the same thing. I was also asking because I really like to create logos, poster and use MS, word and lots of clip arts i locate online. I'am really sorry, I really was just asking a simple question. Sorry to offend you.

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm
post #25 of 35
Quote:

I'm sorry if you took my comment the wrong way. I was just asking a question. because of what my friend is currently go through. I didn't want to see anyone go through the same thing. I was also asking because I really like to create logos, poster and use MS, word and lots of clip arts i locate online. I'am really sorry, I really was just asking a simple question. Sorry to offend you.

I wasn't complaining about you. You didn't offend me. That was is a good and valid question. One that I wanted to know the answer to too.

Rather, I'm complaining about how "Monolithic" Software that want's to turn us all into MicroSerfs makes it so stinkin' hard to find a simple answer. That's what I found offensive - bad customer service on MS's part.

It is a good thing to know that buried (and I do mean buried) deep within their site is the notice of not to use commercially.

BUT, for the love of pete (and gloria too) why couldn't they just put a simple disclaimer/warning on the very first page of the clip art section saying it was not for commercial use.

lozpa Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #26 of 35

Well you did a great job. I like for my logos to show my actual cakes. what do you think about having Sweet Cup & Cakes put up an actual photo of one of her cups and cakes, i even would go as far as having her bite into the cupcake and display the filling inside.

Just a thought. : )

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:

Well you did a great job. I like for my logos to show my actual cakes. what do you think about having Sweet Cup & Cakes put up an actual photo of one of her cups and cakes, i even would go as far as having her bite into the cupcake and display the filling inside.

Just a thought. : )

using actual photos is great:
1) displays actual handiwork/ability
2) gets around all the copyright issues.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

monica

geesh - you'd think they could make this info easier to find!!!

so....straight from the MS website - legal notices section:

and I quote (take note of #4 & 5 especially)

"Clip Art

The Microsoft Clip Art Gallery provides a compilation of artwork for your personal use. Microsoft licenses some of the artwork from third parties and therefore cannot grant permission for you to redistribute the artwork. For more information on the terms of use, refer to the End User License Agreement (EULA) that accompanied the product from which you obtained the clip art. If you obtained the artwork from Office Online, you can find the EULA at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX100667421033.aspx.

Many other product EULAs are available at http://www.microsoft.com/legal/useterms/.

The following guidelines apply to the use of clip art:

1. You may use clip art in your school assignments and projects.

2. You may use clip art in your church brochure.

3. You may use clip art for personal, noncommercial uses.

4. You may not use clip art to advertise your business.

5. You may not use clip art to create a company logo.
(emphasis added)

6. You may not use clip art to illustrate the chapters of a book."

so there you have it, we can use it to dummy up things, but then need to buy artwork or have it custom drawn for us.

Thank you soooo much for the info Doug as always you are the best thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif always is good to know info like this, I love all your designs even if you get them from a public site you always give all the designs your personal touch thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif you know what? I didn't even know where can I get some of this kind of clip arts icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif How dumb ha jajjajajaj so thank you sooo much, and like I said they are amazing, all I can do is say thank you for help me (I am talking for my self I do not want anybody to think I am talking for them icon_wink.gif ) because all and each design or info you post always help me you don't even know how much thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:02pm
post #29 of 35

Oh goodness, for some reason this didn't notify me of replies!!!

Thank you so much for all your help. Doug and Jadies, thank you for your logos, both very cute and great elements of design to get ideas from!! Also, the suggestion of the topsy turvy with a cupcakes is almost exactly what I came up with as one idea last night while out with my husband! Great ideas, everyone!

I'm so glad to hear that my name is well accepted. Yippeee! Now on to figure out how to come up with the money to get my license and move forward. icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:41pm
post #30 of 35

I wish Doug would make me a logo My name is Dena' pronounced like Renee with a D instead of an R
I am a newbie but so far everything you posted and I read I liked, my Dog (BABY) is named tatorchip his dad is tatortot.
icon_cool.gif Doug icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%