Red Mmf? I'm Scared!

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 1:50am by sweetartbakery

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 42

I just read in another post someone wrote that "everyone knows you can't make MMF red, because it makes it break down" (I paraphrased). Agggh! I didn't know that. I have some "curing" on my kitchen counter that I planned to use tomorrow to make a cake similar to what's in my avatar. The original (in the avatar) I made 10 years ago and <<GASP>> back then I used Wilton fondant. I know! I know! Anyway, am I going to be in deep doo doo tomorrow when I try to roll out my red MMF? I did have to add about 1/2 jar of the Wilton Red-Red food color to get it red, and it's still not as red as I would like it (made it two days ago, and it's as dark as it's gonna get). Should I panic NOW? It's not too late to skip down to Wally world and buy some Wilton, LOL

41 replies
cakesbytanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytanya Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 42

I've colored MMF red without any problems.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #3 of 42

If you added the red to the marshmallows before you put in the powdered sugar, it should work all right. I've noticed whenever I need to add a lot of color, if I do it that way it doesn't do the falling apart thing like it does sometimes with a lot of red added to it.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 42

I did a Lightening McQueen cake for my son's b-day last weekend and used red MMF. I let it sit about an hour before I used it and it was fire engine red. Worked fine for me. HTH icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 42

I know when I try to make Black BC that they say to start off with chocolate BC and then add the coloring, was thinking if you tinted the MMF pink first then adding the red you may not need as much...just a thought icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #6 of 42

Just thought i would pop this in here even though i havn't made red fondant before but i read that if you use maraschino cherry juice as your liquid in your fondant it will give the fondant a pink/red colour so you have to use less of the red food colouring in the end!

I guess for MMF you can just add it to the melted marshmallows then add the icing sugar and works the same way? Not sure about how it effects the taste but could just add your own flavouring to cover it if it does?

Also maybe you can add in pink marshmallows to the white which will give a pinky colour to start with!

Just some ideas, i am gonna make red MMF in a couple of months so i'll know if it works or not then lol

HTH if want to try it icon_biggrin.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:05am
post #7 of 42

I just recently made red MMF, and I noticed that it was a little softer than the purple I also made, but it went onto the cake just fine, no breaking down or anything. I did use the Chefmaster Super-red color, not wilton, though. ...someday I'll get around to uploading the pix...

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 42

I just made a batch of MFF (MIchele Fosters Fondant) and added a package of red jello to the recipe and it worked great. Maybe you can try that with MMF? I needed to use much less red food coloring than I thought I would to get a great red color and it also has a great taste. HTH

Elise87 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 42

oo might try that wendalynn, good tip icon_biggrin.gif

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:42am
post #10 of 42

wendalynn11 do you use the flavored jello in place of unflavored?

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #11 of 42

Hi,

I did make red mmf for a cake's accents several weeks ago. If you want to see the red, you can check out my "multiple birthdays cake". However, to get very red fondant or frosting, I do something a bit uncoventional I'm afraid - but it works for me. I take every red I own - Chinese Red, Holiday Red, Tulip Red, Flaming Red, Red-Red, Christmas Red...and I put some of each in the frosting or the fondant (before I add the powdered sugar) and I mix it together. Since dark colors (red, dark green, black) can leave a bitter taste, I always add light corn syrup to what I'm doing. If I need it stiffer, then I add more powdered sugar.

I hope that helps and you have much success! thumbs_up.gif

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #12 of 42

When I made red mmf I mixed strawberry cool-aid powder into the melted marshmallows and then I only had to use a small amount of red color. Tried to post pic but I can't. Look at the Ga. Bulldogs cake in my photos. I used the red mmf on the hat. Worked really good.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #13 of 42

You could also start the MMF with the strawberry marshmallows that are out there. You'll have a nice pink base to work with....of course that doesn't really help you NOW.

Elise87 Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:22am
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenOR

You could also start the MMF with the strawberry marshmallows that are out there. You'll have a nice pink base to work with....of course that doesn't really help you NOW.

yeh lol but it all good to know for the future icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:50am
post #15 of 42

I made red for a Christmas cake and it fell apart after I let it rest overnight. It was fine after I coloured it but resting seemed to be its undoing. It was very frustrating trying to get that crumbled red mess to a pliable enough consistency to use. I remember having to add lots of glycerin, lots of corn syrup and then about 2 big wads of plain MMF before it finally got to a workable state!

It turned out ok in the end and even with the added plain MMF, it was still red but it took a lot of working on. I used the Wilton Christmas Red paste with a touch of black. Next time I have to make a lot of red I plan to use the kool-aid trick.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1297031

cakedesigner59 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:30am
post #16 of 42

Thanks, everyone. That cake is gorgeous, Vlin28. I only needed a half-batch of red MMF so I colored some I already had. I'm petrified now that it will fall apart after sitting overnight, like Vlin28's did. I want to scream. This cake has been kicking my rear end for two days now. Sigh.

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:38am
post #17 of 42

I think I'm missing the beginning here, but I'll say that I used bright red on my fire truck and it held up great. No issues. I tend to make my MMF on the softer side though. I think I read somewhere else that someone mixed crisco in with the MMF to give it more stretch... You might already know that though. I'm a newbie and will be trying this next time! My only complaint was that it took a TON of red dye!

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:53am
post #18 of 42

i put a bag of red chocolate melts on top of the marshmellows before microwaving it.....when melted, mix it up and let it "cure"..it works great and is great to handle plus it tastes terrific icon_biggrin.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:57am
post #19 of 42

wow, that is a really good idea. I add cocoa powder to get brown and black, but it always dries out the MMF. This may just solve that. I hate the taste, so chocolates couldn't hurt! Is it any easier/harder to work with? Any tricks needed?

grandmaruth Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:24pm
post #20 of 42

it is alot easier.....it sets up nicely....depending on how long you let it set..you may have to microwave it just a little to soften it up....i make several batches of fondant in advance to have them ready when i need them....i use the green melts...yellow melts....all the colors available in the chocolate melts....not real happy with the color of the pink melts....i make white fondant with marshmellows,white chocolate melts and add pink coloring....it tastes great....use the light cocoa or dark cocoa or dark cocoa...with mint and add black to make it black try it youll like it

AngMaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngMaLa Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #21 of 42

you put a whole bag of the melts in?

sweetartbakery Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:48pm
post #22 of 42

I plan to match a batch this weekend! I'm excited!

grandmaruth Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #23 of 42

i have a big glass bowl, i empty in one large bag of mini marshmallows and a spritz of water and a whole bag of whatever color of chocolate melts you want....microwave...keep an eye on it so it doesnt burn...take out, stir..i use very little if any powdered sugar in the mixture and cover the counter with a little crisco and sprinkle corn starch on top of that..dump the mixture in the middle of it grease your hands and just work with it...i grease a plate and put the mixture on the plate to cool and then i go on to the next batch..when that batch is done i put the previous batch in a plastic batch and seal it....etc....it all moves along so quickly....of course i watch for sales on the chocolate melts.....i love seeing a whole stack of ready to go fondant in bags on the counter...tastes great.....please let me know how youlike it icon_biggrin.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #24 of 42

NO mess of powered sugar! You've sold me completely now! That more than makes up for the cost of the melts! Hm, I have melts and marshmallows in the cabinet now. Shall I give it a try with two children under 2 awake... If I can do a batch that way, I'll jump for joy!

grandmaruth Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #25 of 42

mmmmmm i dont know about the 2 under 2 awake but it goes pretty quickly.... let me know icon_biggrin.gif

cakedesigner59 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:42pm
post #26 of 42

Just an update. The red seemed to work fine. I do make mine a little on the soft side too, and add lots of crisco to keep it pliable. Thanks! Let's just hope they don't break down on me before the bride cuts the cake!

lostincake Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #27 of 42

Grandmaruth - you should post your recipe for your fondant with chocolate melts! Sounds easy and like it does the job! I feel a bit silly but I'm not sure I know what chocolate melts are...is there a brand you can recommend? I'm in Canada so not sure if it's just called something different here...? Or is it just regular chocolate but coloured?

cakedesigner59 - so glad to hear it didn't break down lol. And I don't think you have to worry once it's on the cake. It was only when I was trying to roll mine out that the problems started so if you got it on ok, then it should hold up. But if in the future it should happen, then my trick was using plain MMF to add pliability, it was a last resort and the only thing that ended up working lol.

Oh and thanks for the compliment on the cake icon_biggrin.gif

grandmaruth Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #28 of 42

hi! the chocolate melts are the little round discs that are colored chocolate....Wilton sells them in yellow,orange,green,orange,red,pink,light cocoa,drk cocoa,dark choco mint, blue....all different colors....you can get them at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Jo Ann Fabrics etc....you melt them to make candy treats etc.....there are other companys that make them too...i think Merkles?..here they are something like 2.79 a bag....so i wait for a good sale or use my coupons icon_smile.gif

lostincake Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #29 of 42

Thanks grandmaruth - I'm gonna go look for them and try out your method!

sweetartbakery Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #30 of 42

grandmaruth- I was going to post you directly, but I figured others on this thread have the same issue

so I melted the candy and marshmallow and poured it out onto a p.sugar surface (like i do with MMF). usually I knead and knead with powdered sugar until it reaches the right texture... this i'm not sure of. I only kneaded with the tiniest bit and it's still really stretchy and reminds me of melted cheese (stringy and soft). I know it will firm up as it cools, but should I have used more p.sugar or is this how yours is until it sets up. it's only been about 10 min.

thanks!!!!!
Christy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%