Quickbooks Or Cake Boss?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm by mouse13

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 26

Which one is better?
Right now I have all my records saved in the form of emails, spread sheets, receipts and a bunch of paper work. I want to get organized and keep more professional records.
My mom suggested QuickBooks, which I know nothing about.
I told her about Cake Boss which is the program I want, but which would be better?
I like the fact that CB is set up for a cake biz and it seems to be fairly user friendly, however I'm trying to get everything in order for my business plan and eventually a loan app so will CB be appropriate for that?

25 replies
kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 26

I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, I think they're just different. I haven't really used Cake Boss, but in my day job (accountant), I use Quickbooks every single day. Quickbooks is a full fledged accounting/bookkeeping software program. You can use it to print checks, create invoices, receive payments, keep up with your accounts, print financial statements, etc. I use QB all the time to generate information for requests for financial statements from banks, preparation of tax returns, etc. I know you can create invoices in CB, but I don't know if it does all of the other financial things. It does look like it does a great job with customer information, though.

HTH,
Karen

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 26

Yes, that would be my response also: they're very different programs. CakeBoss does allow you to track revenue and run reports for any given time period, and break down your income and expenses by cake type (what percentage of your income comes from: weddings/birthdays/showers, etc). But it is not a full-fledged accounting program like QuickBooks.

If you have any more questions about what CakeBoss does or doesn't do, feel free to ask here or PM me, I am happy to answer icon_smile.gif

I'll attach a sample of an Order Type Summary report for your info. thumbs_up.gif
LL

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 26

I love QB because I know how to use it (= But I really want to get cakeboss. I don't have a business, but I want to keep track of all the cakes I do and what I spend. So far everything I've seen about cakeboss is exactly what I want.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 26

I am hoping at some point that CB will become more usable for me. Right now it can only be an electronic version of my cake orders. It won't let me input a pricing matrix for my set price cakes and allow me to just click on the cake type (ie, 1/4 sheet kit cake, Full sheet basic cake) and it pull the price into the invoice. Right now it all has to be manually recreated, which is fine, but time consuming. It just streamlines the paperwork, so instead of looking on my desk for a cake order in question, I can go to CB and open that customer and pull the open order. So in that regard it is great, but as a fullfledged cake biz, I really need it to have a few more bells & whistles to it, and an integrated accounting module with a vendor database and inventory module, CB will be a true Godsend! It definitly has great potential, especially since there is nothing like it for small biz bakeries and cake designers.

Quickbooks can be adjusted for just about any biz, but is doesn't have necessary things a cake biz needs. Just the accounting issues.

Now if we could combine all the great stuff in CB, the accounting abilities of QB, and then add a design module to CB into one program...talk about a truly revolutionary application program for cake businesses! Hint, hint Ms. Kelley...icon_wink.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 26

I have used quick books and didn't like how it worked for me for cakes.
I do however have Cake Boss and totally love it! This is the 3rd year I have been using it. Its just a cake businesses needs. Its geared for us bakers. I cant imagine working without it. And Customer Service let me tell you they are wonderful! Always there to help when you need it! I couldn't run my business without Cake Boss. hope it helps!
Happy New Year!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 26

I have never used CakeBoss, so I can't compare, but I do love QB. I use it everyday at my job. It's very easy to learn, as I had never had any experience with it and had to teach myself. Within a week, I had it up and going and can do almost everything my boss (pool contractor) needs me to do. He dictates what report he'd like to see, comparing what and within minutes I can figure out a report to fit his needs. We track all the incoming bills from vendors, balance the company checking, invoice our clients, create proposals & quotes for new pools or service contracts. Besides the payroll, there's little it can't do that I need it to. (It does track hours, but it doesn't figure deductions & pay unless you buy the payroll program.)

To "learn" QB and to continue to play with it without wrecking my boss' files, I created my own bakery and "sell" and "buy" things with it within the program.

I do wonder what other programs are out there that we just don't know about? When I worked at a pizza place (and we had ANCIENT computers) it did all the invoicing, food ordering, inventory, payroll, took orders, ran reports, it could figure food costs for an individual order down the the pepperonis needed......somebody out there HAS figured this out.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #8 of 26

Cakemakar,

There are other programs out there. They are called POS systems...point of sale systems.

They are fairly pricey, but are programmed to your own specific needs.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 26

I have used both programs...and I have to say while I love Cake boss for the cake specific features, it really does not save me anytime or add too much extra for me to use it. In Ouckbooks I can track orders, customers, tax information, and run revenue reports. I can create a budget, reconcile my business accounts, and print invoices. I have stopped using cakeboss really, becasue I have to create 2 orders...one in cake boss to give out and use there, and then another in QB to make the business accounts track properly.

Do be aware thought that the learning curve for cakeboss is much less than learning QB.

I would reccomend Cakeboss to the low volume caker...Once you start o see haigher volume, taxe issues you will want to switch to a full fledged accounting program.

THe Customer service at cake boss is great though...always helpful.

CakeMakar Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

Cakemakar,

There are other programs out there. They are called POS systems...point of sale systems.

They are fairly pricey, but are programmed to your own specific needs.

Yep, I've used a lot of them having worked in the food industry over the last 20 years. I never had priced them, though.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 26

Yes, the systems are all over the food industry, hospitals, car dealers, you name it.

They generally start at $8000 to $10,000.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 26

and of course there's also Quicken Home and Business -- which will do invoices, statements, allow preset item descriptions and amounts (and lets you build the invoice drop down menu style), mailing lists.

All the things a beginning small business needs to do in a relatively inexpensive package, that takes care of home finances too.

and later the business data can be loaded to QuickBooks when the business gets to big/complex for H&B version.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 26

I have not used QB but I have CakeBoss and love it.

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm
post #14 of 26

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm wondering if someone can clarify... if Cake Boss does not do any accounting type work, then you will also need some type of accounting software, correct? I have used Quick Books Online and it was such a HUGE program and did so much more than I needed it to do that it intimidated me. Also, it's definitely not geared towards a bakery type of business.

My husband and I have been going around and around all day trying to figure out if there was one program out there that did all of the things we need it to do, but it doesn't seem like it. What are your suggestions for an accounting program that won't overwhelm me? I also would like to purchase Cake Boss for the calendar and the customer organization.

Thoughts???

CakeMakar Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:05am
post #15 of 26

You can get a trial version of Peachtree.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #16 of 26

One suggestion (from my businessman--dh) if you have an accountant that will be filing your taxes see which program they use & go w/ it. That way if you have any questions/problems & at the end of the year it will be easier.

FlourChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourChick Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #17 of 26

Very good suggestions... thank you! I can honestly say that I know nothing and my husband knows just enough to get us in trouble-ha ha!

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #18 of 26

funny that nobody is ever alone in their thoughts or actions in Cake central!! I read this thread last week while trying to decide which to get, and i thought I had bumped it, and that's why I was seeing it again... LOL... I'm in the same boat as you.. hubby wants QB and I want CB...

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #19 of 26

I havent read this thread yet, so forgive me if someone else has posted this: But I use quickbooks. Not only do I love the fact you can email invoices, can write checks from it and set prices for items automatically, including servies AND set taxes, but I just dump the file for my accountant, bring it to him and he does my taxes without me having to bring sheets of papers and other stuff I love the profit and loss reports, I also love that you can set up different accounts where deposits go, and that you can customize the invoicing as well! (did I mention I can also download my bank statements into and do my banking balance in about 10 minutes?)

Many Jr Colleges and adult ed places give classes on it if you want to learn the really deep stuff too!

cakesdivine Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #20 of 26

I use both...Cake Boss for all my actual order info that QB in no way offers ( can load a photo of the cake design right on to the order screen) and QB for all the accounting issues.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:57pm
post #21 of 26

just my 2cents.
I did a one-month-trial of CB. it was nice, but I never took the time to really learn it and customize it for all my stuff.
I have been using Quicken for years - and I've been tagging my expenses in Quicken.
I needed to upgrade so I decided to upgrade to Quicken Home Business. I haven't fleshed it out completely yet, but I really like it, mostly because I'm used to it and I already have most of my $$ data in there.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I am hoping at some point that CB will become more usable for me. Right now it can only be an electronic version of my cake orders. It won't let me input a pricing matrix for my set price cakes and allow me to just click on the cake type (ie, 1/4 sheet kit cake, Full sheet basic cake) and it pull the price into the invoice.

Hi Cakesdivine,
You should check back in with Kelley. They have recently added a feature for fixed price items. Is this what you are needing?

-Debbie B.

cakesdivine Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I am hoping at some point that CB will become more usable for me. Right now it can only be an electronic version of my cake orders. It won't let me input a pricing matrix for my set price cakes and allow me to just click on the cake type (ie, 1/4 sheet kit cake, Full sheet basic cake) and it pull the price into the invoice.

Hi Cakesdivine,
You should check back in with Kelley. They have recently added a feature for fixed price items. Is this what you are needing?

-Debbie B.

I did ages ago...LOL! I even came back on this thread and thanked her and did a separate thread thanking her. The time had run out on editing that particular thread post so I couldn't remove it or change it. Kelleym PM'd me after that post and let me know of the upgrade.

As I said in the post just above this one, I LOVE MY CAKEBOSS NOW! Wouldn't change using it for the world! Now if we can get them to incorporate an accounting module and inventory module, It would be perfect in every way!

steph_78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph_78 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:31am
post #24 of 26

I purcashed the cakesboss programd and haven't had much time to set it up yet although it does look like a great program. My question is though, I want to track my expenses also. I do not see this feature with Cakeboss. Am I missing it or do I also need another program?

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:44am
post #25 of 26

I use cakeboss, and its very user friendly.
I recommend it.
Jodi

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #26 of 26

I have a question, would it be a good idea to buy CB if one is just starting out, and haven't even gotten any order yet? I sold one cake so far, and that was about 5 months ago. should I wait to even think about spending money on an item like this or buy it so I can get the courage to get out there and make some orders? 99.00 is a lot of money when you are just starting out in the cake business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%