Would Someone Please Help Me???

Decorating By Niquie Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 12:23am by -K8memphis

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 45

Hi all you wonderful cc'ers!!!
My name is Ashley and I just love being a part of this site. You guys are so awesome. Anyway, down to business. I am pretty new to the decorating thing, and I have absolutely no training other than what I learned from my "late" mother as she used to decorate. I always let people know that I do this to keep me close to her, because I feel that we bonded when we did this together. I wish I was as good at this as she was. Ok, my question is, for those of you who use buttercream, do you have any suggesstions on how I can make a smooth buttercream without using a KitchenAid brand mixer.

I am a stay-at-home-mom with a three year old, and I am currently 8 months pregnant with my next child, so purchasing a KitchenAid is no where in the cards for the near future. Any tips or advice on this would be greatly appreciated and definitely tried. I love cake decorating, eventhough my work is quite horrible. It takes my mind off of all the everyday junk that most of us have to deal with. I would really love to turn this into a business someday, but I would much rather learn the ups and downs of icings and things before I try too much. I have done cakes my son's b-days and for friends (a few are posted in the gallery), and they seem to go over well, but me being my own worse critic, hated them all!!! Anyway, like I said, any help on the buttercream issue would be greatly appreciated. Don't forget, I don't have a KitchenAid brand mixer, so that's the problem, I guess!!! Thanks for reading and sorry it was so long!!!

P.S. I tried indydebi's recipe (it tasted great, my son couldn't stop eating out of the bowl icon_smile.gif). The icing tasted great, but for some reason, it still wasn't as smooth as I had hoped it would be. I'm sure it's something I am doing wrong, so please post those comments and criticisms!!!

Ashley

44 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 45

Buttercream can be made using a hand mixer, but it needs to be one with high wattage. You'll blow up a weak one. I'd get one that is at least 300 watts if I could.

As for the smoothness, I think that's just something that comes with practice. IMO it's more about the technique than the recipe. Everyone talks about how smooth Sugarshacks bc is, but you'd have to have a stand mixer for that recipe.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 45

Using a stand mixer IS easier but it is not impossible to make BC using a handmixer. Do be sure to use hot liquid...helps melt down and incorporate the ingredients. Just take your time and do it slow especially in your final mix....that's the key.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 45

Your cakes are cute. Each and everyone of us had to start somewhere.. usually with a star tip and bumpy base coat.. so don't be too hard on yourself.

Smooth icing (on the cake) is easier when your batch of bc isn't too full of air holes. So mix up your BC trying to keep your beaters submerged. The more you move them up and down, the more air holes you are going to get.

HTH's a little. icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 45

Do you want a KitchenAid mixer?

I have a 325 watt KitchenAid stand mixer that's about 2 years old. I just got a new one and have this one in the cabinet taking up space.

PM me...

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 45

Welcome, welcome, welcome!! And congrats on the new bundle! I have a 3 1/2 yr. old and a 6 month old, so I know how busy you are!! icon_smile.gif I'm also a SAHM but run my cake business pretty full time. Ok... enough about me, what it this, a dating website? Hahaha.

Anyway, some of my best advice for your icing... if you are making a shortening based icing:

1. Put the shortening in a bowl and beat it first until it is light and fluffy.
2. Start adding your liquids to the shortening and beat until fully incorporated and fluffy.
3. Sift your powdered sugar to remove any lumps.
4. After you gently mix in your powdered sugar (to the shortening mixture) turn the beater up to a high-ish setting and just let it whip for several minutes to become really fluffy and smooth. Poeple will tell you that this causes air bubbles, just let the icing rest a while before you use it and that shouldn't be a problem (At least it hasn't been for me... I'm sorry if it has for someone else!)
5. And most importantly (well, not really, but it makes me feel better to say it) try the Melvira method!! icon_smile.gif http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

There are a few people who don't care for it as much, but the most overwhelming response to it has been one of complete satisfaction! Some of the most incredible decorators on this site have adopted this method and will happily tell you that they won't make a cake without it. There are tons of ways to smooth your icing and make it look good, this just happens to be one way, but it's fast, effective, and gives great results without a ton of money being spent on equipment!

Have fun, keep caking, and let us know if there is anything we can help you with!!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 45

Tita9499, that is so sweet of you to offer the mixer to her! The kindness we find on this site is unbelievable sometimes! If the world treated every stranger the way we treat them here it would be a nicer place! Merry Christmas everyone!

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 45

Wow you do a great job, not to have everything you need. It's not impossible to make good BC with out a kitchen Aid. Remember, kitchen Aids at the watts we are use too have not always been around. I think the last posting suggesting the hot liquid it a great idea. You may want to let some of you ingredients come to more than room temp inorder to get it a bit more smooth, then put it someplace a little cooler to chill down before frosting. My biggest suggesting is consider how much you spend on incoincidentals and start a little savings fund to go toward your kitchenaid. You deserve it. Also, you could be amazed at how collecting cans and loss change can add up. Make it one of your many priorities to start saving change and recycling cans to get the thing that is going to make cake decorating easier and much more fun for you. You already have talent! Also, Ebay and Kitchen aid sale refurbished stand mixers. You can get one at a steal. This is how I got both my kitchen aids and the last time I checked, they had quite a few at reasonable prices. They also carry a hand mixer, I bought mine from KA for $29.00. And its a great hand mixer. Keep up the good work!

Tita9499 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw902

Tita9499, that is so sweet of you to offer the mixer to her! The kindness we find on this site is unbelievable sometimes! If the world treated every stranger the way we treat them here it would be a nicer place! Merry Christmas everyone!

To God be the glory!

If not during this time of year, then when? You know?

Everybody always wants, wants, wants. God has blessed me and my family so many times from so many different people, that I feel it's my obligation to pass on my blessings to others. I remember when I had my twins I was desperate to decorate cakes so I could have some sanity. I couldn't imagine not having a stand mixer and now that I have two, it's only right I pay it forward. I just wish I could give her a new one to be quite honest.

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 45

Wow TITA9499 what a selfless thing to too! You will recieve good things back for being so kind! This is truely a great site, we are all tied together through our passion of cake decorating!

Tita9499 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers40

Wow TITA9499 what a selfless thing to too! You will recieve good things back for being so kind! This is truely a great site, we are all tied together through our passion of cake decorating!

Again, it's because of God's grace.

I'm sure many of you would do the same if you had it. I've received so much love and kindness from this site and guidance that I never would have gotten in any class, so I'm thankful for it and I don't anything more than that.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 45

Tita9499, you're a sweet person for offering up your Kitchen Aid. Have a Happy Holiday!!!

Tita9499 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

Tita9499, you're a sweet person for offering up your Kitchen Aid. Have a Happy Holiday!!!

Thank you and you too! Eat lots of cake! LOL!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 45

Tita, that really is wonderful of you. God Bless and Merry Christmas!!!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 45

Tita, please let us know how this works out. If you don't hear from her it could be that she's not receiving the replies (I've had problems with that in the past). Anyway, blessings to you and Merry Christmas!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 8:26pm
post #16 of 45

Tita9499 - Amen to your praise! king.gif (So no handy photo of our Lord here, but will this do. heh heh)

Mel - icon_lol.gif ya, dating website. I WISH! (uh, sorry Doug)

Niquie: I can TOTALLY relate. I never had a KA for 20 years. Smooth icing CAN be done with those little hand-held puppies, it just takes time. I swear I burnt up 3 mixers flat after my old one from the 70's burnt up! the key is to shut the thing off if/when/you smell (1) burning odor, (2) whisps rising up that aren't p.sugar, etc. Leave the beaters in the bowl of icing. Let the mixer cool off.

I used make my icing like what Melvira said: mix the shortening/butter/HOT HOT HOT liquid up for a looooong time - about 5-8 minutes. (Pull up & have a seat/bar stool at the kitchen counter! icon_rolleyes.gif )
I used a deep, deep plastic bowl, too, to catch all the extra powdered sugar! Also helps with not putting as much air into it, too.

Then just put in your p.sugar and mix for yet another 15-20 minutes. (Um, you might want a diet coke while your sitting there mixing the icing, watch tv, i don't know, count to 1,000...something.)
When your done, bounce your icing bowl on the counter real good a couple times to "burp", that helps too. Let it rest if you can.

icon_biggrin.gif

GI Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 8:27pm
post #17 of 45

double post and CC is causing me headaches! icon_cry.gif

Tita9499 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 8:41pm
post #18 of 45

LOL! "Burping" your icing. LOL! I don't know why I found that funny...I guess I just imagined holding a bowl over my shoulder while patting its side...I know I'm goofy!

I'll do my best to contact her because I haven't heard from her yet. With 3 babies, I'm sure she's really busy and hasn't had a chance to re-read. You all have a blessed holiday season and be a blessing to others!

Tita9499 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 45

LOL! "Burping" your icing. LOL! I don't know why I found that funny...I guess I just imagined holding a bowl over my shoulder while patting its side...I know I'm goofy!

I'll do my best to contact her because I haven't heard from her yet. With 3 babies, I'm sure she's really busy and hasn't had a chance to re-read. You all have a blessed holiday season and be a blessing to others!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:05am
post #20 of 45

AWE, how sweet! I would love to hear how this turns out!

GI Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:39am
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I swear one monstrous bowl I had mixed up, actually did "burp"! icon_lol.gif I bounced it on the counter a few times (I mean, pretty hard!), walked away from it, heard this "woosh" and turned around and thought WHAT IN THE WORLD! Nobody here 'cept me, so I know it burped! icon_biggrin.gif

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 12:03pm
post #22 of 45

You know, you guys are so wonderful. And many, many, many thanks and blessings to Tita9499 for offering me that KitchenAid. Just when things look bleek, someone full of kindness and the will to share blessings comes along and makes me feel like I will be able to make my dreams come true some day. You are truly a blessing to me, whether I get the KitchenAid or not. You really made my day, and that is good enough for me. Thanks so much again for the offer, and I PM'd her guys, and I will definitely keep you all posted on this.

Also, thanks to everyone else for all your help and advice. I am very happy that so many people will take the time out of their lives to help someone like me. Someone said that the world would be better if everyone was like the people on CC, and they are definitely right. I have gotten so much help and advice and good feelings from the members of this site since I've been a member, and it makes me feel so good, especially when I'm down about the cake decorating thing. My husband even thinks you guys are great for being so helpful and supportive. He really wishes that he could purchase everything "cake" for me that I want, so to hear that you guys give such good advice and help when I need it, makes him happy too. Thanks again to everyone, and I will definitely be trying some of those techniques out very soon. I am going to make a Christmas cake for my family, and I will post pics in this thread as soon as I'm done with it next week.

Also, since someone wants to "pay it forward" to me, I think it's only fair that I do the same for someone in need. I live in Japan (military wife), and there is a single, very young, and very new to the military girl here who is currently pregnant. She didn't have anything for the baby and is due in Feb. or March. I don't have much to give, but I did offer the person helping her a cake for the shower and some free hairbows and a diaper cake with a few baby items (which I also make myself). I wish I had more to share, but with a baby on the way my self, and the holidays and normal everyday things that you have to pay for here in Japan, I just can't. Eventhough it isn't a lot that I'm giving, at least it's something, and I hope that she is filled with all the JOY that I was filled with after reading the offer from Tita9499. Sorry this was so long, and thanks again for reading and helping me, to EVERYONE!!!

P.S. I didn't realize how many responses had been made until now, so please forgive me for not responding sooner. I haven't been getting the emails stating that I have replies, so I will just keep checking here from now on instead of checking for email notices. Thanks for the 1 millionth time, and have a beautiful, blessed day to everyone!!! Happy Holidays!!!

Ashley

GI Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:30pm
post #23 of 45

Your post isn't long at all! icon_biggrin.gif (Just those pregnant hormones kicking! icon_lol.gif) Awe shucks, your post made me kind of weepy myself.

Have fun making your cakes! icon_biggrin.gif Cake decorating supplies don't have to be expensive! I use a Play-Do-Fun-Factory for cutting/rolling/shaping/designs, etc. It's a kick. Brings out the inner-kid in me. icon_wink.gif I also got a really nice bench scraper for about, oh gosh, a BUCK at the Home Depot/Lowe's home improvement store! My friend's hubby cut up a bit sheet of plywood that was laying around the house for my cake boards (yep, cover em up good! icon_biggrin.gif ). The possiblities are endless! I only use maybe 7-8 Wilton tips, so no need to rush out and buy those monstrous kits they sell! Merinque Powder comes pretty cheap at CAsh-N-carry, too. Along with Vanilla.

See? No need to line the pockets of Wilton's Corporate Execs! icon_twisted.gif

Have fun making your cake! icon_biggrin.gif

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:48pm
post #24 of 45

Awww...Tita! Very sweet of you to help her out! I've been that person before and so that act of kindness is heavily recognized!

Tita9499 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:49pm
post #25 of 45

As a military wife who just got back from Germany after 6 years, I know how difficult it can be to make ends meet. Add to that the fact that a lot of cake supply stores, hardware store are non existent over there and it makes supplying yourself very difficult. Alot of people think it's just the military member who struggles, but they are made better soldiers, airmen, marines and sailors because of the strong spouses (and families) supporting them and holding down the fort at home.

God knew I could bless Ashley and He knew that I can understand her struggles, because those struggles are mine as well. With God nothing's a coincidence; I mean I didn't know she didn't have a KitchenAid when I read the post and she didn't know I had a spare one laying around. I idn't know she was a military wife overseas and she didn't know I was one who just returned from overseas...God did though. Even if you aren't religious, you have to recognize that just by reading this thread. Everyone who has read this was meant to have read it, know that God is working in all of our lives for the better of our spirits- rejoice now during this season and appreciate the gift that has been given to us all. Count your blessings (the faculty of all your limbs, your family, your health) and bless others as you feel led to.

I know alot of people may be offended by my "religiosity" but I can't keep quiet about the goodness of my Lord. I don't mean to offend, I just want to encourage...and God bless us everyone! (Tiny Tim style, LOL!)

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:28pm
post #26 of 45

Seriously, I can't come into these threads while at work. I'm sitting here crying with joy b/c everyone really is so helpful here whether it's offering tips and tricks or giving stuff to people who need it. This has been a very emotional week for me (our CEO did a super wonderful thing for us employees, mom was admitted into the hospital last night and AF is showing up to boot).

What you said in your last post Tita is so true. I'm not a religious person, although raised Catholic, but I know what you mean and have been thinking this all week long. As with everyone, money is tight. Just yesterday morning I was wondering how I was going to get through this month as I found another large bill that needed to be paid on top of gifts and other things and then yesterday afternoon, our CEO surprised us all and gave us an extra 2-week paycheck. It truly was a blessing! I was able to get my daughter some snow boots and snow bibs. Then my mom went into the hospital last night for heart failure and when I talked to her today, while she isn't dying (thank God), she did say, "Before I die, please baptize Holly." I got off the phone, called the church and called my mom back and said she needs to get well b/c on Feb. 22 Holly will be baptized. Really, things do happen for a reason.

Anyway, sorry to ramble!

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:53pm
post #27 of 45

OK, now my kids are looking at me wondering what I'm crying for. LOL

ALl of you guys are just toooo sweet. It really puts the "REAL" idea/meaning of Christmas back into perspective.

Tita9499 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm
post #28 of 45

My Pastor said it best, "Don't try to outdo the other person by giving the best gift because the best give you can give is free". Jesus said that out of these things: faith, hope and love, that the greatest is LOVE (1 Corinthians 13:13). Check that out, it's greater than faith! Love is all you have to give so give it, that's the meaning of Christmas anyway.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:09am
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

As a military wife who just got back from Germany after 6 years, I know how difficult it can be to make ends meet. Add to that the fact that a lot of cake supply stores, hardware store are non existent over there and it makes supplying yourself very difficult. Alot of people think it's just the military member who struggles, but they are made better soldiers, airmen, marines and sailors because of the strong spouses (and families) supporting them and holding down the fort at home.

God knew I could bless Ashley and He knew that I can understand her struggles, because those struggles are mine as well. With God nothing's a coincidence; I mean I didn't know she didn't have a KitchenAid when I read the post and she didn't know I had a spare one laying around. I idn't know she was a military wife overseas and she didn't know I was one who just returned from overseas...God did though. Even if you aren't religious, you have to recognize that just by reading this thread. Everyone who has read this was meant to have read it, know that God is working in all of our lives for the better of our spirits- rejoice now during this season and appreciate the gift that has been given to us all. Count your blessings (the faculty of all your limbs, your family, your health) and bless others as you feel led to.

I know alot of people may be offended by my "religiosity" but I can't keep quiet about the goodness of my Lord. I don't mean to offend, I just want to encourage...and God bless us everyone! (Tiny Tim style, LOL!)

Wow, Tita...I'm speechless.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:19am
post #30 of 45

This is a wonderful thread!..I love the CC people!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%