Making A Zipper For A Purse Cake?

Decorating By 1of5wives Updated 22 Nov 2008 , 8:38pm by TooMuchCake

1of5wives Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1of5wives Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any tips on making a zipper for a purse cake? I have tried and it seems to baffle me? lol....any help would be appreciated.

9 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 10

I used a food-safe modeling material (Silicone Plastique by makeyourownmolds.com) to make a mold of a heavy jacket zipper from the fabric store. I picked the jacket zipper because the teeth are bigger and I could get better detail. Now that I have the mold made, whenever I do a purse or wallet or diaper bag that needs a fondant zipper, I can make one in a few seconds.

I went to a baby shower last weekend and took a diaper bag cake. People were so impressed that it had a zipper it was like that was the only thing they focused on! LOL

HTH,
Deanna

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 10

Hi! I had the same problem when I made a purse cake, so I just bought a real zipper at JoAnn's and iced that onto the cake. I know some people are against non-edibles in there cakes, but I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. The picture is in my profile if you want to see it. I hope that helps some. icon_rolleyes.gif

If you figure out another way to do it I'd love it if you'd (or others) share, I'd like to redo my purse cake sometime and see if I could do it better!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 10

. . . you could do just as TooMuchCake suggests . . . except just use fondant/gumpaste for the "mold" . . . in other words, just make an impression with a real zipper into some fondant/gumpaste, let it dry, and then use the dried impression to make your final zipper . . .

ImageImage

TooMuchCake Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 10

I've been trying to get this to attach... Wish me luck this time!

The cake isn't done yet, but you can see the zipper pretty well in this pic.

Deanna
LL

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:41am
post #6 of 10

Wow that is fantastic. What a great idea. The fondant dry for a mold is a great idea to. Wow. That is why i love this place.

PatrysV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatrysV Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 6:21am
post #7 of 10

I use a zig-zag scissor to cut the fondant strip- then your zipper can be a bit open as well.
LL

1of5wives Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1of5wives Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the tips... I think I will try making my own mold... then I can use it over and over.... I love you guys (hug)

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 10

That looks great TooMuch Cake!!

I have done 3 purse cakes and each time I kick myself b/c of the zipper

... I think I am going to buy several sizes of zippers and make molds of them.

I wonder if it would be do able to make an open zipper??? hmmmm going to have to play with that idea haha.

thx for re-lighting my motivation icon_smile.gif(wink)

TooMuchCake Posted 22 Nov 2008 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks, pinkbox. You can make an open zipper if you open the real zipper and make molds of each half. The Silicone Plastique molds are really great, because you can use them over and over again and they're ready whenever you are for those last-minute cakes that we all swear we'll never do but do anyway. icon_rolleyes.gif

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%