Airbrush

Decorating By momma28 Updated 19 Jun 2014 , 3:36pm by 2txmedics

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 155

can you use any kind of airbrush set (as long as they are not propellant driven) for cakes and simply use the food safe dye's instead of paint?

154 replies
trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 155

I'm not sure what you mean by food safe dye - I assume you mean food coloring. I have a badger 360 which is not made for cake decorating. It works great. I use wilton food gels thinned with vodka to spray. They sell airbrush coloring, which is good to use, too. I just have to go to a cake store and it is 40 minutes away. Plus they are a little expensive. I buy one each time I go. The wilton/vodka method works for me. HTH.

momma28 Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 155

yes I meant food coloring icon_smile.gif did you everhave someting in your head and forget what to call it LOL having one of those days icon_redface.gif

Thats exactly what I meant, the badger set at the craft stoe. I have a 50% off coupon so I think I might go ahead and buy it. Di you have a seperate compressor or did the kit you bought come with one?

cakedbytim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedbytim Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 3:20am
post #4 of 155

Hello all I am looking to buy my first airbrush for decorating cakes any suggestions??

Thanks, Tim

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 10:48am
post #5 of 155

Are their airbrushes just for cake decorating? How big do they usually come?

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:19am
post #6 of 155

I just purchased one from a cake supply company. It's the same one we used in my FIL bakery.
Copy and past the link below, and it will bring you right to the page.

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=2764&p_catid=241&page=1

HTH
Danielle icon_wink.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:30am
post #7 of 155

Before you buy one at the craft store check EBay. They have cheaper ones than the ones at the craft store even after the 50% off.
Jen...

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:32am
post #8 of 155

My husband had gotten me SEVERAL different airbrushes and different brands. Each brand and type seems to do something different. And there are different styles to consider.

I think the best thing is a seperate conpressor that has a pressure guage on it that can be controlled.

I personally like the already made airbrush dyes. Not that expensive and all set to go when needed.

momma28 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 155

I have a seperate compressor that I use for my pnuematic nail gun (bit of a tool belt diva, I love construction, I built my sons room when I was 7 months pregnant with him). Can I use that? How low does the pressure need to be?

abruntz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abruntz Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 155

I bought the kopykake one I absolutely love it. I bought it from Walkers for 149.00 plus shipping it was my birthday present to myself. (how horrible is that?) LOL

Its seems pretty simple but I am still learning quiet abit about it.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 155

someone recommended this one in a former post. She said when she was in a class where they needed air brushes all the others had problems with there air brush except her. It seems like it comes with a lot too and it has a reasonable price.
http://www.bearair.com/prodinfo.asp?number=100259
Jen...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 155

mellormom, that's the airbrush I have and I wouldn't trade it for any other. I've seen the kopykake one's work and the finished product isn't as nice as it is with the aztek 470. There's no needle to clean or bend with this one and I have several extra cups so changing colors is a breeze.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:08pm
post #13 of 155

What does everyone think about this one? I've been thinking about getting one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ESP2BY/?tag=cakecentral-20

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #14 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

What does everyone think about this one? I've been thinking about getting one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ESP2BY/?tag=cakecentral-20

It's pretty heavy duty, if you're going to use A LOT I would think it would fit your needs. However, if you don't do that much air brushing, I would invest in a smaller compressor.
HTH
Danielle

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:24am
post #15 of 155

melloermom - I was looking at that one! My problem was trying to figure out the compressor to get for it. Is it better to have the ones that you pour the color into the cup or the ones which have the containers that you attach from the bottom? Sorry, I don't know the terms.

tiggy2 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:30pm
post #16 of 155

The cup on top is better then the bottles you attach to the bottom in my opinion. My cup actually attaches to side and is removable so I can change cups (colors) easily. The only thing I use the bottle for is to run water water through to clean the brush out.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 155

I'm actually looking into buying the Aztek airbrush this week (hopefully). I've been researching airbrushes off and on for about a year. The passche (sp?) brand seems top notch also, but pricey.

Tiggy2 -- what kind of compressor do you have with the Aztek?

mkolmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 2:59pm
post #18 of 155

Okay never mind. I jumped the gun and just bought it! YEAH!!!!! I'm so excited. I bought the Aztek 4709 set and the single compressor. I wish I could have went with the twin compressor but it was $50 more and I'm already slightly over budget. The guy on the phone said just to watch it a little more carefully since it's smaller than the twin and heat up a little faster, but you have to watch them all anyways.
He then said that for cake decorating and chocolate work the Aztek is one of the most refined and is perfect for this kind of work. It sprays clean and is easy to maintain and control, even better than the paasche.
I'm so happy right now. I've been wanting an airbrush for over 2 years.
Can't wait to try it out.

tiggy2 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:13pm
post #19 of 155

mkolmar you will love the aztek! I look at so many before I purchased one and the aztek produced the best finished product. It's great for detail work and is so easy to clean. The best part is there is no needle to bend so it doesn't need to be replaced. I love being able to have extra little cups of color so I can change back and forth. My DH made a holder for me to set the cups in so they don't spill when not in use. We took a plastic bowl with a flat lid and drilled holes the size of the cups. I marked each hole with a color and set the corresponding cup in it. When I need to change I colors I just take one off, run a little water through the brush (with one of the glass jars) and attach a new color. I wouldn't trade my aztek for anything.

saberger Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #20 of 155

tiggy2 - which compressor do you have?
mkolmar - CONGRATS!!!! let us know how you like it. where did you buy it, if I may ask? Do you have to be careful that the compressor doesn't overheat? Why would it do that and how do you avoid it? Which one did you get?

Has anyone gotten one at a crafts store that they like? Something I might be able to use with a 50% off coupon?

I, too, am interested in the Aztek, but since $ is tight, I want to make sure I know EXACTLY what to buy.

Sorry I have so many questions. TIA

mkolmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:33pm
post #21 of 155

That is a great idea Tiggy2. Thanks. I may have to have my DH make me one.
Last night I was saying yet again that I wanted one to my mom. I've been getting more into chocolate work and she said I needed an airbrush to spray the cocoa butter colors. Add that with the cake decorating and I knew I had to buy one soon. I saw this thread with the link and just couldn't stand it so I called up the store and ordered it. I just was starring at the airbrush saying "I want that. I need that. I have to buy that right now." I was already leaning towards the Aztek when I read your comment and decide it was the one.
I can't wait to try it out. I have to wait to buy the cocoa butter spray and the americolors though since I just spent the money on the airbrush, but I'm okay with that.
I'm so glad too hear how easy it is to use and clean. The easier the better.

mkolmar Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #22 of 155

I just ordered mine from Bearair. I ordered the Azteck 4709 set and the single compressor. The single compressor will heat up a little bit faster since it's smaller. The twin is a little larger. All compressors you need to watch for it heating up though. I couldn't afford the twin so that's why I went with the single. I won't be using it for long period of times anyway so the single for me should be fine.
Call the guy from Bearair and talk to him and ask him questions. He was very helpful and never asked me once to buy anything. Just answered my questions.

I decided that I wanted the airbrush I bought to be a really good one than rather start out with a lesser quality and build my way up to a different one. I figured I'd save money in the long run by doing it this way, even if it hurts the wallet a little bit right now.

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:42pm
post #23 of 155

I also want to purchase my first airbursh set. Lots of brands out there. My question is there a book or dvd out there that teaches you how to use it???? I've heard kopycat is a good brand?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:05pm
post #24 of 155

I got this one and really like it, it's not too expensive and was recommended by a Food Network regular that I took a class from

MODEL # 144AC Airbrush City⢠Mini Airbrush Compressor with AUTO ON/OFF
http://www.airbrushcity.com/144AC.htm
and this pen....

http://www.airbrushcity.com/gd100.htm

18 PSI is plenty to airbrush a cake
remember to always clean your airbrush after use, or you will be taking the darn thing apart alot.
you don't need a special cleaner for it. I use windex followed with water, or sometime vodka to clean mine.

good luck

tiggy2 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #25 of 155

I got my kit from Rolland Winbeckler which included the compressor. Here's a link to his site that shows a photo of the compressor. http://www.winbeckler.com/airbrush_suppliespage_2.asp#Aztek%20Airbrush%20Supplies%20&%20Recommended%20Accessories

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:13pm
post #26 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by abed

I also want to purchase my first airbursh set. Lots of brands out there. My question is there a book or dvd out there that teaches you how to use it???? I've heard kopycat is a good brand?

I've only found one book on airbrushing cakes and it wasn't terribly helpful. The class I took taught me to go from light to dark colors on cakes. (it's the opposite when you airbrush t-shirts, or so I've been told). Layer your colors (see apple cake in my pics) on that one I think I started with ivory, then gold, then two shades of green, and two shades of red until I got the depth of color I wanted. Practice mixing colors, thin with vodka or lighten with white (white always clogs the airbrush, so clean it well after). Practice, practice practice.

saberger Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm
post #27 of 155

I actually got a dvd that teaches about airbrushing and then has demos/lessons on how to work on a cake. It was very helpful for me since I know NOTHING about airbrushing. This is the name of it: http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-control-slot-cars/BADBD108.html

do a search for where to get it. Can you switch between cocoa butters & regular airbrush colors on the same airbrush? Or does it hve to be 2 different ones. I saw the package deal at Winbeckler's site, but I can't tell the brand of the compressor based on that picture.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 1:31pm
post #28 of 155

Just wondering....can you hook up the aztec airbrush to the kopykake airmaster compressor?? Has anyone done that?

mkolmar Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:34pm
post #29 of 155

saberger-I was told that you can switch between cocoa butter spray and regular cake airbrushing colors. You just have to flush out everything really well and make sure it clean.

From everything I've read and been told the Aztek is the brand with practically no splatters at all when you spray. Kopykake, badger splatter more and paasche not as much but you can get better detail with an Aztek.

Dinny2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dinny2222 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 5:51pm
post #30 of 155

Wow this is really making want an airbrush! I went to the Bear Air and I saw the Aztek 4709 for 118.00 seems like a good price in comparison. The Aztek compressor is the Blue Mini Compressor. Is this the best one to get for this? I love the whole package tiggy2 recommended but that is out of my budget..even for Christmas. I was thinking of getting the airbrush and compressor from BearAir and then the additional food color cups and airbrush color and cleaner set from Winbeckler. What do you all think? Your help is appreciated and I think you can tell, needed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%