Sam's Club Bc

Decorating By yvonnebaratta Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 2:33am by maryjsgirl

yvonnebaratta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvonnebaratta Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 32

Has anyone used a Sam'sclub bc? Can you tell me if it's okay on texture and taste or should I just make my own? I need to make a big batch of it.

Also, how do you achieve champagne color and wine color on bc? They don't sell color paste in those shades...

31 replies
jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 32

I use sams club bc. I smooths very well, actually better than my homemade icing. I don't like the taste as well but if you flavor it its not too bad.
I am not sure how to achieve the colors you need! Good luck
Karla

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:54am
post #3 of 32

i wasn;t keen on the flavour either, so imixed in more. flavouring it does smooth great and pipes cleanly, no little jaggerdy edges anywhere. and its a great price, im sure i couldn;t make that much for less.

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #4 of 32

What size does the buttercream at Sam's come in? The prince? Do you go to the bakery and ask? I've never seen any icing on the regular sales floor.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 4:34am
post #5 of 32

It comes in a 28# bucket and it's around $22. They don't have it on the floor. You do have to ask for it at the bakery. I divided mine into smaller containers and froze it which worked well!

yvonnebaratta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvonnebaratta Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:07am
post #6 of 32

Sweetcakes, what flavoring do you add to it? Does it come stiff and then just add water or milk to ice the cake? At my Sam's club, it's displayed near the bakery and it is a great price considering you're saving on labor icon_smile.gif

jbart Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 32

yvonnebaratta, You can add any flavor to it. I use coffee creamer just keep tasting it till you get the flavor you like. It may take a little more than other icings. It is also not as stiff as my homemade icing. It is very easy to use. I like having it on hand so the last minute cakes are so much easier. I have customers ask for this icing instead of homemade. Good luck! Karla

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 32

yvonnebaratta

Champagne color, a little flesh coloring? Wine, red and purple?

Val

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 32

Here's a color chart that may help you with the colors.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=858073

Also, for champagne/ivory colored icing I have used a little pure vanilla flavoring (brown in color) with my white BC and it tinted it ivory.

HTH!

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 32

save

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 32

Here's another link with coloring info:

http://www.ladycakes.com/Charts/color_mixing.htm

jennifer0383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer0383 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 32

I really like the sam's cluc bc. I add almond flavor to it, and I have alot of customers ask for it. They seem to like it better than regular bc. At the Sam's Club by me it's $26.42 for the big bucket and the small buckets are $9.97 and thay come in all colors. I really like the red!!!!

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:49pm
post #13 of 32

Any one have a BJ's wholesale? What about their bakery or is it just Sam's? Or what about Costco? just curious if I need to go on investigations?

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 32

Anyone know if BJ's carries icing as well? I don't have a Sam's near me anymore. icon_sad.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 32

I plan on going to get some today as a matter of fact. I had the hardest time trying to make PS buttercream last weekend and buying it will be a time and sanity saver for me. It's crazy because I can make IMBC or SMBC with no problems but not normal buttercream! I figured I could just add flavoring to it because I've also heard it's not the best tasting, and add more PS if it's not stiff enough.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:56pm
post #16 of 32

Do you have to have a membership to buy?? My Mom and Dad are retired and travel alot in the US...I'd like her to get me a few pails!!!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:01pm
post #17 of 32

I use the Sam's BC all the time, and folks really enjoy it. I once did a blind taste test between the Sam's and the Wilton recipe for buttercream, and the Sam's won 9 out of 10. NOt bad, and considering it's a whole lot less work, and less expensive, than homemade, I don't quibble about getting it.

It crusts very nicely, and takes the Melvira method incredibly well. I don't even need a paper towel between the roller and the icing, and it smooths out like a dream. I always keep a tub on hand, for last minute cakes and for experimenting and practicing my decorating. icon_smile.gif

In our Sam's, because they do so many cakes on the weekends, you have to call and make sure they have enough on hand, but during the week, they usually don't have a problem if you just show up and ask for one or two. If you want more than that, you might have call ahead, though.

(for the record, it took one and a half of the 28 pound tubs to do my wedding cake, if that gives you any idea how far it goes, and I did fill with it, as well.)

Peppermint is actually a good flavoring to add to it, though you don't need a lot. Gives it a very interesting and refreshing twist. I've also added extra vanilla, extra butter, and other flavors such as raspberry and bubblegum. Oh, and if you mix in a decent amount of cocoa powder, you can get a really nice cocoa icing... not chocolate... but a bit lighter and less rich, which goes perfectly with certain flavors of cake. Experiment! So many flavors, so little time... icon_smile.gif

For champagne, I use just a touch of Ivory gel color.

The one warning I have is that I feel the need to stiffen it a bit when doing roses, stand-up leaves, or drop flowers. But that's five minutes in my KA, and it's done. Other than that, though, it's great stuff.

Hope this helps!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #18 of 32

DoniB: Are you adding sugar to make it more stiff or something else? I had the same problem using some I was given that I used for my roses. I was hesitant on buying some for this reason.

DoniB Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Do you have to have a membership to buy?? My Mom and Dad are retired and travel alot in the US...I'd like her to get me a few pails!!!

You do have to have a membership, darn it. But I buy so much stuff there for the house and family, it's just another note on the shopping list for me. icon_smile.gif

DoniB Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

DoniB: Are you adding sugar to make it more stiff or something else? I had the same problem using some I was given that I used for my roses. I was hesitant on buying some for this reason.

Yup. I just add a bit of powdered sugar until it forms stiff enough peaks for roses, and go with that. I wish I could give an actual measurement, but it really seems to depend on the humidity levels that day in my house. icon_razz.gif I just eye-ball it. If you don't stiffen it a little, though, you will not be able to do nice roses and drop flowers. The drop flowers just want to have peaks if they don't lift half off when you pull the decorating bag away! Eeep!

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #21 of 32

The best endorsement I can think of for Sam's Buttercream icing is our own illustrious Thanh Thanh. That's what she uses for all her incredibly beautiful cakes. Here's her gallery to prove it.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-ThanhThanh.html

Here's the thread where she discussed it. Just scroll down a bit for her comment.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/thanh-thanh-buttercream-icing-ftopicp-5137173.html#5137173

Regarding Sam's membership. I believe anyone can shop at Sam's, but people who aren't members must pay 10% more for their items. I'm not positive about this though.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:34pm
post #22 of 32

Thanks for the information DoniB!

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:55pm
post #23 of 32

I was very surprised to learn Thanh Thanh used Sam's club icing for her cakes. I always thought she'd use some special magical frosting.

DoniB Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:05pm
post #24 of 32

I think the magic is in her hands... she must have extra fingers or muscles or something... I can never get my scrollwork to look like hers! LOL

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #25 of 32

how well does the Sams BC stand up to heat and humidity? I have an cake in October that will be outdoors for a few hours. In Texas, it could be a perfect 75 degrees out or a sweltering 95 degrees!

jbart Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:50pm
post #26 of 32

It does about like homemade bc. It will soften in the heat.

ThanhThanh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThanhThanh Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:27am
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

I think the magic is in her hands... she must have extra fingers or muscles or something... I can never get my scrollwork to look like hers! LOL

Thank you all for nice and fun compliments icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I have 10 fingers ..hihii icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif and I'm only 95 lbs icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:39am
post #28 of 32

Does Sam's club just use the pre-whipped Rich's Bettercreme, or is it something else???

DoniB Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:43am
post #29 of 32

It's actually White Spread-N-Fill But-R-Creme. icon_razz.gif Not sure what brand, though it says Walmart and Sam's Club on the top of the label.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:45am
post #30 of 32

They have both the Bettercreme and regular butter cream icing in the large containers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%