Posts by CakeItGood

Do you have any kind of contract or written agreement for the order? Ours specifies not to refrigerate and that we are not responsible for the cake once it has been delivered. Also specifies colors and ribbon details etc. We review all the details verbally before they sign. Because of this, I would not consider any kind of refund for something that happened to the cake after it was delivered. However, I would offer something to help compensate for the incorrect petal...
Hi everyone! How do you think the bark look was achieved on the tree trunk cake in the link...
A thin layer of BC, then fridging it until buttercream is firm ..... this really helps! You can also very lightly mist the cake with clear vanilla to help the fondant stick, I have found that trick to work well (but it may or may not be the "right" way, lol!).Do you have fondant smoothers? Works much better than hands for a finished look. Don't over smooth or push too hard though. Check out some youtube videos and see what method works best for you!
I work in a cottage law state, and never EVER invite anyone to my home. Ever. Not just as a matter of personal safety, but as a way of drawing the lines between personal and professional. Additionally, there are plenty of scam artists out there who might assess your home to see how much they can get out of you if they make up a good enough story. Even if we didn't live in a very rural area, we would still not allow in home consultations. Up until we rented a small...
For delivery, you really have to develop a pricing structure that is relevant to your area, the clients you serve, the type of cakes you make. I have a minimum order, a delivery fee, and another minimum order threshold to receive free delivery. If I agree to do a cake under my minimum order amount, there is a supply fee AND a delivery fee. If they don't want to pay the delivery fee, we arrange for the client to pick up their order and sign that they received the cake in...
Very strange to not want to spend $5 each on pageant supporters, $50 total to say "thank you" is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what she spends on daughters hair/makeup/clothing and travel. Odd.And I can totally see why you would want to do the cakes for so low, as long as she is willing to not say anything to folks at the pageant about the deal you gave her. It could very well be a great way to get your name out, especially packaged nicely with a professional...
For some reason, that line from the movie "RV" flashed through my mind ... this client sounds like a "big ole rollin turd". And yes, it did sound more like thinly vieled threats and accusations than genuine questions. And without being apologetic, this "lady" needs to be set straight. Who knows what she will be saying to other potential mommy group clients (who, if they are like her, are not worth it anyway).So in addition to the wording others have already written about...
Thank you for your responses! You have given me a lot to think about, some great ideas.With no one else in the area charging for tastings, I have decided to be more flexible. I am working on a new policy of freezing mini cupcakes each time I make a cake for a client, and a bride can choose an additional flavor to be made up for a flat fee, which won't go towards the cost of the wedding cake. Will probably limit in person consultations as well, they take quite a bit of...
No regrets on the Cuisinart! Just like any other mixer out there, it has both pros and cons. I feel that the pros far outweigh the cons. Love the timer feature, to be able to set that to mix for a certain amount of time and walk away. Love that I can do three full batches of frosting or cake batter at once, and that the lid has a tight seal on the bowl while mixing. The deep bowl with double handles is easy to work with, and I love how it looks in my kitchen! The...
GO for it! We have a 7 quart Cuisinart, and while it is a step up from the smaller KitchenAid that it replaced, there are times when I wish for a slightly larger mixer. I also have a smaller mixer for single batches. Happy shopping