Posts by luvmykids2bits

It's a heavy duty Kitchen Aid stand mixer.  It takes about 20 minutes of whipping with the whisk attachment (5 minutes high speed and then 15-20 low speed until cool) and then 30-40 minutes on the lowest speed with the paddle attachment to add the butter and get it past the curdly stage.  If there's a way to speed that up, I'm all ears!
With all the whipping and beating, it is working out to about an hour of mix time each time I make a batch of SMBC.  I'm hoping it gets better!   As I was still experimenting with the SMBC, I used some Sherrif's Caramel Spread.  It's a very, very thick caramel, I used about 3-4 tablespoons and it was perfect.  The texture and taste was amazing!
Warming it a bit and remixing it did the trick for the third batch I tried, Caramel Swiss Meringue.  It was so delicious, but wow, the amount of time it takes to make is insane!
Thanks, everyone.  I think the raspberries may have been my culprit.  They were frozen berries, and there were some ice crystals on them when I purreed them.   I think I will try again tomorrow and see if I can recreate my first success with it.  It's so delicious, I want it to work!   The cake will be due Thursday - should I keep it in the fridge until it is delivered and displayed?
Giving up.  I decided to try the last batch I had made on the cake (different flavour) and while mixing it up, it went from beautiful texture to all curdled as well.   Poo.
Thanks, petitecat.  I think I'm about to give up on it and just use American Buttercream and try SMBC on another cake.
Still whipping.  The texture is so light and fluffy, though - like a very light mousse instead of a spreadable butter like the last batch I did.   Anyone??
It was looking not too bad, so I turned the mixer up a speed and it's all curdly again.  Is there hope or do I quit and start again?
I've been whipping it on low with a paddle attachment for about ten minutes and it's starting to come back together.  I'm freaked, though.  Now what??  The cake is due on Thursday, but I need to ice and decorate it today (chocolate cake, SMBC, then fondant).  Do I store it at room temp or the fridge?  Will the icing go all weird on me when I take the cake out of the fridge?  HELP!!!
I'm new to SMBC, but I made a test batch that turned out beautifully.  I went to make it for my cake, did everything exactly the same, and it took a long time to get past the curdly stage.  It seemed softer when it finally did come together, so I put it in the fridge for an hour.  I just took it out now and stirred it, it's very soft and starting to look curdly again.   I did 9 egg whites, 1.5 cups white sugar, 1.5 lbs unsalted butter, 3/4 cup melted bittersweet...