Posts by luvmykids2bits

I am doing a small wedding cake this weekend (eight inch bottom and six inch top).  The bride's sister dropped off the cake stand yesterday, it's a heirloom piece that is just beautiful, it belonged to her grandmother.  However, I noticed today that the cake stand is not level!  It's about a half inch higher on one end than on the other, and the edges are all a little wonky.  It's a ceramic one piece stand, so there is no way of adjusting it.   I'm worried that if I make...
Just curious, did they ever announce the winner?  I didn't enter, but I haven't seen anything about the winner, wondering if I missed it.
I definitely think the G on God needs to be capitalized.  There is a big difference in Christian and Jewish religions between God and god.  It would be disrespectful to put god instead of God.
I use a crusting buttercream mainly and I frost my cakes when they are partially thawed.  Usually the centre is frozen and the outside is thawed by cold.  I find if it's completely thawed the buttercream pulls off way too many crumbs, and if it's completely frozen the icing won't stick very well.
I did a ugly cake awhile ago.  I had to make sure no one referred to it the ugly cake while the customer was picking it up!  The original design was absolutely hideous, and I was able to nudge her to a slightly better design that I sketched up.  While I was decorating it I realized the placement of the lettering was not going to work at all where she wanted it, so I textd her and told her I needed to change it to better suit and luckily she was fine with it.  In the end,...
Canadian here who is travelling to Minneapolis and Chicago in a few weeks.  Want to take advantage of being able to take things back duty free, what is the best store to shop for cake decorating supplies and tools?  I'd love to get some Sugar Veil molds and materials, and fondant cutters and mats and molds, as well as possibly an SPS system.
Thanks!  I'm just so proud of myself.   The best piece of advice I ever read on CC was I think from AZCouture, who said while she was learning that she read the Cake Disasters forum religiously, learning how to prevent and fix mistakes.  Definitely helped me swallow my pride and reach out for help when the YouTube videos were not helping and I couldn't figure out where I was going wrong!  Thanks sooo much!
Thanks to all you wonderful ladies on this forum, I finally made a three tier cake that did not shift, lean, tilt, sag, bulge or collapse! I posted diasaters twice, read through all the advice, figured out where I went wrong and built a rock solid, straight as an arrow three tier that hasn't budged in 24 hours. Thank you!!!!
Thank you!  I didn't do nearly as good of a job as Kate Plumcake did, but it was fun.  Yes, it is hand painted.  I've never really painted anything until I discovered vodka and food pastes, now it's my favourite method of decorating!
I can't wire flowers for the life of me either. Every time I try they end up falling off. I haven't done many cakes with flowers, but the ones that I have I've been able to get away with doing them without the wire and gluing them on with royal icing. I'm going to have to learn to wire, though! I simply adore the vintage hat box cake! How did you get it so perfect? I ended up doing two other cakes for fun today. Every week at my son's school, parents take turns...