Posts by morganchampagne

For 3 6" cakes I would use about 4 dowels in each of the bottom two cake, I tend to be on the side of using more than I probably need. I would definitely say the dowels were your problem you need dowels anytime you are stacking more than 4" of cake no matter what the size. winniemog gave you an awesome reply that's more in depth
When you say one dowel...do you mean you use one or two for the WHOLE cake? If so that's the problem. There should be 5-7 dowels in EACH tier.
Ditto
My guess would be they used a machine of that kind. I GUESS you coukd use an exacto knife and a paper template on top of black gumpaste? I'm not sure how precise that would be though. When I did this I used my silhouette cameo machine.
The first blossom on their tree!! Lmao winniemog that was hilarious
You can do it like this. However not sure where you are, in our grocery store believe it or not the candy thermometers are cheaper than the carton egg whites
Somewhere along the way....people began to think that they are entitled to full out custom cakes. When in actuality custom cakes is a luxury item! Good for you if you can get it. But if you can't then grocery store it is! I do charity work with icing smiles. That's the only thing free
You could do it either way. I prefer to arrange and then Ice. I attach them with some melted white chocolate or a plop of buttercream so they don't slip
This business you learn rather quickly that doing something for cheap isn't worth it. I had ONE weekend like that and it was over for me! No more bargains. It's not to be mean, but this business is long long hours and I demand to be compensated fairly. You know what's best for you so maybe caking isn't it. This thread is indeed a caution to people starting their own business. DONT UNDERCHARGE. Take your time in looking and seeing what it is you need to do to be...
Oh I could never stand the texture of them personally. I bought one years ago when the got all trendy and I just could not get with it. I just couldn't