Posts by lirana

Kovacstracey, that's a great idea. We don't have the hotel booked yet, but I will definitely ask if I can use their fridge!
Wow, thanks for all the great info! I actually have some extra totes lying around that aren't being used right now. That's not to say they wont' be used by the time the wedding hits... And I have extra heavy duty moving boxes that I refuse to throw away cause they're so sturdy.    Back to the actual cake. The cake itself was really good. The banana filling absorbed into the cake however, so I'm thinking of trying white chocolate ganache next time. Plus, if I do...
Yeah, it's my first gumpaste flower. It's kinda falling apart... I secured it to the cake with buttercream cause I didn't trust the floral wire enough. I do have some sculpting experience though, just not with food.    As to red velvet cake, it's actually my least favorite. I'm not a fan of chocolate, but there's something about red velvet that is just... off.    I was planning on transporting each tier separately and assembling at the reception. Can I just stick...
  The problem with the fridge is I think I will be staying in a hotel closer to the wedding location the night before the wedding. I live a minimum of 40 minutes from our venues. Since we're getting married on a Friday, I expect L.A. traffic will decide to rear its ugly head (hence staying in a hotel the night before) which is why I'm fairly certain the cake will need to be done on Wednesday. I might be able to do the last steps Thursday morning.    I've made bouquets for...
K8memphis, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was ignoring your advice. I apologoze if that's how Icame off. At this point, I didn't have time to go to the store to get ingredients for another type of filling. I'm stuck with the banana for this trial run. I plan on covering our cake in fondant which is why I want a filling that can withstand being out in room temperature. Our wedding is on a Friday and while I might be able to cover it on Thursday, realistically it'll...
So I tried mixing it again, and it didn't improve at all. I started a new batch that turned out much better. I'm 99% sure it's because I mashed the bananas too much. When I made the batch yesterday, it took almost 2 full bananas. Today, I only needed about 1.5 bananas. 
Oh, I didn't realize the bananas would spoil. I was kinda hoping there would be enough sugar. But yeah, that's why I'm testing right now. I made it yesterday with the intent of eating the finished cake on Saturday. Good thing the wedding isn't until October. :)   I'm going to try throwing the icing in the mixer again. Maybe I didn't mix it long enough...
It's been about 24 hours and it hasn't browned at all. It's still the color of banana baby food. @K8memphis, what in this recipe will spoil? I have more bananas to make another batch if necessary, but I figured since the ingredients on their own don't spoil, the icing wouldn't either.   Anyone else have any advice as to what I may have done wrong?
Hi Everyone. I'm doing a flavor test run of my wedding cake this week. My wedding is in October, so I figured I have enough time to make up to 6 cakes by then for practice.   This week I am testing strawberry cake with a banana filling, and I decided to try this Banana Icing recipe I found here. I made this recipe today because I want to test how it holds up sitting out of the fridge for several days. Well, my batch is anything but fluffy.  Based on the description,...
Jennifer, thanks for the suggestions. Raspberry is my third fruit choice if either strawberry or cherry don't work. I made a cherry sorbet last summer that was very hot pink/magenta which was why I was thinking it might be better than strawberry. I can see how that color would end up purplish in a cake. Something to be mindful of for sure. And yes, I am planning to do a half or quarter batch of the cake this week. The full three tiers are for the actual wedding. Kathleen,...