Posts by lunawhisper0013

There was a customer who called the shop where I work to complain about a cake. She said that she picked up the order 10 days ago and when she cut into it today, it was molded.  I asked if she refrigerated the cake and she said that we never told her that she had to refrigerate and that for the $130 she paid for it, it should not have molded.   Seriously?!   I let her talk to the owner who was just as baffled as I was. The lady went on to say that Walmart cakes don't...
I would cut the tail out of wood or sanded down Styrofoam reinforced with polyurethane then wrapped in suran. The legs would be hinged dowels. It's a complicated cake, to be sure! Please post pics when you're done.
I was discussing with my boyfriend a dilemma that I am going to be facing soon of having to deliver a wedding cake to a venue that will require me to drive up a very steep road. I was explaining to him the problems that may occur with such a delivery. He sat quietly, thinking it over, then told me that he could build a device that would mount in the back of my van that would allow me to drive up or down hill and have the cake on it remain level. I was a bit skeptical but...
Well, at my shop, when we are concerned about a cake surviving a trip, we just assemble the layers on site and put the bottom border and whatever florals, etc at that time. We use good plastic supports and plates (which we put in ahead of time and mark the layer with the board size of the next tier) You could probably get away with stacking the first 2 or 3 and then putting on the last layers on site. I can't speak to the dowel issue as it has never been a technique I have...
Good for you! I learned the hard way about deposits when I waited at the designated delivery place for no-shows a couple times. I want to deal with people who take my time and effort seriously. I itemize the cost for them, give them a total and tell them I need 50% non-refundable by (insert date) or I can't put it on my books. If it's not on my books, I have a meme for that too...
I have a plan for that actually. If he calls a day before and says "deliver the cake here...I will just have to buy a deconstructed wedding cake at Walmart and see what I can come up with in one days time. As I said, the options will get more limited as time goes on:D
Well, I have discussed it all with my BF including reading all of your advice on the subject. Here are his feelings ver batim:   "I think he has asked you as a matter of convenience. He wants a great cake at little or no cost.I think if you did the cake, it wouldn't change anything at all. He's still the same angry man, cut off from his emotions that he's always been and I don't think that will ever change. But if you wan to do the cake, I'll respect your decision. I...
It wasn't about a "stream" but I understand your point of view about the cake.
Warning, more family drama ahead!!!   A lot of you are saying that it's difficult to make a decision without knowing our history. That's true. While I can't go into full detail, I can tell you that we have been emotionally estranged since our teens.   We used to be inseparable as children but were in a severely abusive home, especially when our mother left. We would try to protect each other. Child Protective Services took us away from our father when I was 15 (he was...
Black air brush color and a paint brush is how we do it at work.