Posts by JackieK84

Well, I'm salary, so I didn't lose any money... But I understand why professionals charge as much as they (always have), but $650 was the quote I got and that didn't include delivery. I know it would have looked much better than mine, but I really wanted to do this myself and everyone liked it as a personal touch and it was a great conversation starter
RE: leftovers. Like K8 said, the bottom tier was fake and we didn't serve the top tier (it's for our 1st anniversary). We only took home less than half of the 8" tier (and that was it for our leftovers....parents and in-laws didn't take any home). I was shocked how much cake everyone ate!!
I cannot tell you guys how many times I had a question about my cake and came here and got fantastic answers.  I only had to post this one question, though...all other questions I had were already answered on this site.  I don't know WHAT I would have done without this fantastic website!  So thank you to the great contributors you have NO idea how much help you guys were!!!   Our wedding was yesterday and I baked the cakes ahead of time (I cut a corner and used boxed...
  Oh, I know and I know that it would look AMAZING for them to do it...as they have so much talent and can probably make a wedding cake in their sleep by now.    But to me, some of the pricing was a bit too high.  For example, to have each layer in fondant was ~$250.     hahaha, well at least you got a decent hubby out of it   Agreed, and I think that we're both going to enjoy the fact that we can actually socialize with everyone at the wedding and be stress...
I also think buttercream helps the fondant "stick" to the cake better too. 
  Correct.  I got a quote from them before I started my trial cake because my future husband basically wanted to see if it was THAT much difference in the price department.  And if it wasn't, he would have covered the difference because he was afraid I would get too "stressed out".    But, after we found out the HUGE difference in price, I went forward with my plan and the future hubby saw how much fun I had with the trial cake (and was impressed with the final product). ...
  That's what I was thinking...if the cakeboard is really resting on the wooden dowels, what difference does it make what the cake is made of?  But thought I would ask others on here, just to be on the safe side :)   I also made a small trial size cake and left it assembled on the counter...when I awoke the next morning, it was still there...and it wasn't pound cake :D     It is a heap of money (at least to me).  I'm saving nearly 60% by doing it myself....plus I love the...
  I thought it sounded strange as I really been trying to do my homework from other people that have done wedding cakes on their own, and this was the first time I saw this mentioned (making your first tier all pound cake). But, then I started to think "What do I know?  I'm not a professional" and started to worry that I missed something somewhere... :   They also quoted me over 50% more than what it is costing me to do it myself.      We plan on cutting "normal" sized...
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find it. :)   I am getting married April 6th and it's going to be a VERY small wedding (30-35 people) and I decided to bake my own wedding cake.  I've done a few cakes covered in fondant before and even made a "trial" wedding cake a few weeks ago (learned A LOT and feel ready).   Anyhoo, I asked a local baker how much a wedding cake would cost with the exact specs that I'm going to use for my...