Posts by BomCakes

Yes I know. Only on this occasion. I actually charge well over twice that. I don't personally know her, but know that She's a friend of my neice, struggling with breast cancer. She has a bunch of kids, no money and I wanted to do something nice. My mom passed a few months ago of cancer, it's close to my heart and I wanted to give her a great deal. She still freaked out though, like it was highway robbery..lol!  Which is normal for this area of Ohio. Just have to laugh at...
I actually heard back from this customer, I think she was shouting at me, but how can you tell on FB? She replied "I guess it'll just have to be 100-150 servings because I just cant afford more than 120 dollars!!!!!"   I basically just put out an apology for my business sake, "I hope I didn't offend you, but.." I explained that she isn't going to find another baker around here to make what she wants for the price I quoted and here's my regular price to compare it to....
I get up front price quote requests 90% of the time.  "Hi,  How much are your cakes?"  I always explain that I will need to know what the cake has to look like and the number of guests, other details, and then I would be happy to quote a price.   So I get this FB inquiry from a lady that starts out like this.. " HI! My friend and I are so stoked! We beat cancer and we want you to bake a cake for our "we beat cancer" party!" I said "That's Wonderful! I would love to...
LoveMeSomeCake, This thing wont let me quote you but I would have to start out by appointment only. Let folks know I'm here. I think prob to feel my way along not just jumping feet first into a full service walk-in cake shop.  The top comment I get is "so glad we found you! There just isn't anybody."My DH and I were cruising town today checking out all the available buildings on our main street near the university, offices and court house etc. There are a lot to choose from!
I've thought about this too, a lot! I get these nutzo requests for single serving cakes for adults that look like wedding cakes with gum paste flowers and all but the person only wants to spend 5 dollars. So I have put my foot down a few times.  Right up on the old FB page, huh? Hmmmm...Wish I were computer savvy! I have the invisible wall  that goes up whenever I try to change my FB page or learn anything about my computer. Prob have to hire someone soon! I'm of that...
Thank you AZ! I Do like this and have considered it. I also am thinking about a front of the house/back of the house sort of operation, beautifully decorated, Sleek with lots of deco'd cake dummies and to-go only items in a cold case available and then the private "back room" where the baking and decorating happens. A person in the front to handle the walk in customers. Ideally, I would like to be in and out but primarily handle appointment only customers. I have a lot of...
Thanks everyone. I do the very best I can at all times, that's what I want to be known for. But I believe it's primarily just sheer lack of cake designers/bakers in this area.  There are a few cake ladies, but no cake shops aside from Wal Mart and two other groceries.
Not trying to sound ungrateful at all. Not complaining either.  I have been doing cakes, from my kitchen, for about 3 years.  Had busy spurts where I wanted to just run away to find some sanity and then it would always die down. Winter months, almost nothing. Fine by me.   But now, this year, I'm getting so many inquiries and people calling my house, cell, (obviously some folks out there sharing my personal cell number) showing up to my home unannounced to "See where...
Hi everyone! Need help! Thanks in advance I assume this has been covered in the threads, but I can't seem to find one that tells me the best way to record utilities with my cakeboss. I have 2010 and have not really used it until this week (I made a resolution, sorry) So can someone chime in and tell me how to get utilities to show up in my pricing? Can it be recorded as an ingredient?