Posts by embersmom

LOL, I am, too, Norasmom :D  I was going to say something but decided to lurk instead. Copyrights aside, I get why the OP would put up photos like that.  When you're just starting out you may not have a portfolio, so it's tempting to nab a photo from a Google search and say "I can do something like this" to a potential client.   The danger is your reach exceeding your grasp and not being able to deliver THAT particular design to a customer even though you sincerely believe...
 That's par for the course working in an in-store bakery :shrug:
Experience helps -- in fact, my employer prefers previous experience so we don't have to train from scratch.  Training from scratch takes time and money, and frankly, most in-store bakeries are so strapped for help that a new decorator is expected to come up to speed sooner rather than later.  I've trained brand spanking new decorators-to-be, but not in the last few years.  I have too much else to do. My previous employer gave a new decorator 90 days and coincided it with...
We charge $39.99 for a full size 2" high sheet cake. We don't stack our cakes.  If you wanted a filled cake like the OP's, we'd split that full sheet in half, dam it, fill it, replace the top half, then ice/decorate it.  Maybe it'd be 3" at the most?  I think it adds another $10 to the price IIRC (we don't get many orders for them, so I'm just going on the last time I did one).
 That's what I was trying to say.
Mix vs. scratch is a perennial issue in the general cake world.   On one side are the cakers who decry mixes because mixes echo mass production, supermarket cakes, etc., and IMHO they believe their cakes are more "special" and "taste better" because they are made from scratch.  It's a badge of honor, so to speak.  Some of these cakers have no qualms about announcing it publicly, whether it's advertising or one-upping a caker who doctors mixes (there have been many...
My current boss doesn't decorate either, but he's been around long enough to gauge how much time something should take.  For instance, I like to try different things for non Deco Pac orders within the customer's request (say, using flowers other than roses).   He and I both know that sometimes it might take me longer than our production time limit to do it, but if the customer likes it, s/he is more apt to be a returning customer who will tell her friends who will tell...
Hi, supermarket decorator here :waves:  I don't like making boring cakes either, but what you could do is perfect a few techniques that are essentially "yours" so you can do them efficiently.  Mine are usually a riff of other cakes I've seen or maybe a pattern I remember from somewhere.  We're discouraged from doing roses for case cakes because they take too long, but that doesn't mean we can't do rosebuds, you know? For example, I'm known for scrollwork, which doesn't...
I wish I had bookmarked the site, but I recently came across a round cake either iced or covered in pink.  There were gymnastic silhouettes around the sides and a gumpaste silhouette as a topper.  I thought it was very clever in its simplicity.  Something to consider :)
Here's what we get at work:   ~ Customer checks prices at the two area retail bakeries for X. ~ They come to us and ask "Do you do this?" and "How much?" ~ They get angry when we tell them that NO, we don't do tiers, NO, we don't do fancy pastry platters, NO we don't do mini cheesecakes, NO we're not equipped for fondant, etc. ~ Customer angrily goes to the store manager. ~ Store manager reminds them that we're a supermarket ~ Customer either rescales their...