Posts by kkmcmahan

I always use the bake strips and for cakes over 8 inches also use the nail.  The strips keep from doming and the nail helps with baking the center.
Very pretty, they also used the daisy cutter from the set.  As already mentioned, looks like they used most of the cutters.
A lot of great information in this thread...thanks to all that contributed!
I believe it was one of Ron Ben-Israel's videos where I saw him pipe a very small line of bc between the layers and then smooth it to cover the gap.  Like caulking a bath tub. It just disappeared.
Yes, I think there are a lot of people that have still not received the book, myself included.  Sounds like there will be another email sent when they are ready to ship it to you specifically, then it arrives a couple of weeks later.  I have not received that second email but have hopes that I will still get it.    You will not receive a reply to any email you sent; communication is very lacking in this company.  There is little to none.  Still behind in the magazine...
It seems like if you do have little bits in the ri you could end up clogging up the filter (which would need to be very small).  I think it would be easier to just filter it before putting in the bag, wouldn't need the added pressure.  Let us know how the filter in the nozzle works if you try it.  Very interesting idea!
I use the Wilton cake drums all the time with cakes that are 2 or 3 tier and have never had a problem.  I did have a very heavy cake (nephews wedding cake) that I needed to transport and didn't want to worry about the cake board in transportation so I went to the hardware store and found a round wood base that I love.  It is 3/4" thick with a round over edge so it is smooth and easy to handle.  They had 3 different sizes, think I got the 17".  Love it and it was very...
Thank you ladies, I will use straight ganache then.  Never thought about gnats and stuff sticking to the SMBC.  That would be pretty unappealing to say the least!
Thank you all for your responses.  Ganache never occurred to me.  I'm assuming that would be whipped ganache.  I normally use white chocolate ganache but maybe I will plan on milk or dark chocolate ganache, just to be safe.  Thanks everyone!
I will be baking a cake to serve 80 for July 5th and traveling to Albion, MI (about 3.5 hrs) with it.  I would like to use SMBC which will be made and transported in air conditioning but will be outside once I arrive. It will be placed in covered shade and the temp looks like it will be low to mid 80's.  It is for my uncles 90th birthday so it won't sit too long but possibly up to 2 hours.  Do you think SMBC will be okay or should I stick with fondant?