Posts by scrumdiddlycakes

This one isn't exact, but it's very close. You can trim parts off to make different looking pieces, it's just a bit time consuming. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071MQ94G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Everytime I see one of these, I just imagine all the different squishy textures and soggy pie crust. Granted, the ones I have come across are always 2 or more pies inside a cake, a single one might not be so bad. I would try it if it was free, and I didn't have to make it, haha.
Tunneling and holes are usually a result of overmixing.
I have a set of americolor ones, they are awesome. Go on easy with no pressure needed, and stay a good pure black.
I refuse to do anything bigger than a 6" tier on top, it just never looks right, imo. Any particular reason for choosing those sizes?
I refrigerate all my cakes, once filled and iced. I never let naked cake sit in the fridge not covered though, that will dry it right out. Some cakes are just not meant to be eaten cold either, I have a chocolate one that is amazing cold, but my vanilla needs to be room temp, or it has an awful dry mouth feel.
They are called petal ruffles, if you Google that you will get tons of photos and tutorials. I use a 5 petal cutter, then use a ball tool adding the edges, gather/fold together and stick them on with a touch of water. There are some great picture tutorials that would explain it fat better than I did
I've used royal, tinted to match, works great for little 'out of the way' cracks.
If they pay for it, sure. Like the other ladies though, I don't do sheet cakes, my kitchen cakes are 4" high layered cakes, a slice of that doesn't risk looking boring on a plate No offense to your friend, but I've never been a fan if the paper towel look, I'd suggest running a texture comb quickly over the top if you want a pattern.
white cake is simply a vanilla sponge, made with egg whites. Yellow cake is the same, but made with whole eggs. The yolks give it a yellow color, and make it a bit richer.