Posts by kblickster

Sorry this happened to you ellavanilla.  I just did a wedding cake for a bride with an outdoor wedding.  I also attended and cut the cake.  I kept it cold in the box until just after the wedding.  Within 30 mins, I could see that the cake was melting.  I grabbed the coordinator and told her we couldn't wait much longer.  I used SPS in the cake and it was still cool on the inside and it held together, but nothing was going to stop it melting on the outside.  Fortunately,...
I don't think it's your cake.  Like AZ said, do not use poured ganache.  Use a thicker ganache.  Make sure your cake is completely cooled before you put any filling in and let it firm up before you ice the outside of the cake. 
I was working on a cake for Saturday last night.  Crumb coated and filled with Lemon curd buttercream.  Finished, popped the cake in the fridge and suddenly got violently ill.  Stomach wise.  I felt fine beforehand.  I was sick most of the night, but feel much better today.  Should I throw the cake out?   I wear gloves when working, but just not sure if I should pass this cake on.    I dined out about 2 hours before this happened.
I have to agree with the cold cake theory.  I had a bride that wanted a buttercream cake with lots of sugar flowers on it.  I warned her against buttercream and had her sign a disclosure that I did not guarantee that it would remain intact.  She also contracted me to cut the cake.  It was hot the day of the wedding.  90+ degrees and very humid.  I delivered the cake cold 1 1/2 hours before the wedding and prayed that it would not melt.  I decided that it was entirely to...
They never ate the cake....     I made a drum cake for my a friend to give to her boyfriend in May.  (He's a drummer).  We visited them this past weekend and I was looking for something to nibble on.  I see a tupperware cake box on the counter and peek in.....What????  There is the cake I made for his birthday.  My friend shrugged her shoulders and said, "He couldn't bear to cut it."    Of course the fondant was hard as a rock and the cake still looked pretty good. ...
Grooms cake - Golf Bag
I use bubble tea straws for 2 tiered cakes.  3 and up SPS.  I just like the added security and it makes it easy to stack on site.  It doesn't add that much to the cost of the cake and I just add it into the cost of the cake.
Thank you for all the replies.  It was harrowing to say the least.  This is the second delivery I've had to do in the pouring rain.  The cakes were still very cold when I took it them out of the boxes and they were already beading up with condensation as I was starting to stack them.  By the time I got done, they looked almost like someone had turned on a sprinkler.  Panic set in as I got help to position one of the giant fans in front of it.  I was sweating as much as the...
I had and order for a 5 tier buttercream wedding cake that needed to be delivered 75 miles away.  I knew that the reception was outside in a large tent, so I used Sugar Shacks buttercream recipe for stability.  (I tried to get her to go with fondant, but she hates it.)   I stacked the first three tiers, boxed and refrigerated them and the other 2 tiers.  The outdoor temp was around 80 degrees and humid.  I placed the cold cakes in the back of my SUV with the temp inside...
Small pieces of paper towel or cling wrap wadded up.