Posts by IAmPamCakes

As far as I've seen, you list 'cake mix' (baking mix, or whatever you're using) and in parenthesis, list those ingredients. After that, list the rest of your ingredients. Example: baking mix (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, etc.), sour cream, egg, vanilla, etc. I'm in California, and that is acceptable according to my health department. It would be best to check with your own, to cover your bases.
Do you have tried & trusted recipes that you are already using in your business? That's a pretty important step in havin your own business. What's the problem with listing all the ingredients? If you use a box mix, own it. Of you think listing box mix ingredients is 'tacky,' then maye you should develop new scratch recipes of your own, to avoid the *embarrassment* of admitting you use box mixes.
You can cover SMBC or IMBC with fondant. Many decorators do it all the time. Fondant actually acts as an insulator, so when it's warmer out, the buttercream is protected, and won't soften as fast. I've never had my buttercream 'melt.' Just get really really soft in an 85 degree room.
We don't use anything special either. When working in a commercial kitchen, efficiency is important. So, when I make a trip to the walk-in, I'll grab all 40 pounds of butter that I might need. Some of it sits out, some of it gets used right away. Commercial mixers are made to handle big, heavy loads of work, so cold butter is not an issue. That being said, there are a few recipes where temperature is important, and I work with properly temped ingredients. That is a...
According to one of my books about vanilla, 2 pods per 8 ounces of liquor should be enough. I use more, for stronger flavor. Make sure you buy extract beans. Apparently, grade B is for extract. This thread reminded me that I need to order more beans...
In use rice milk to make ganache.
I'm territorial, so I wouldn't let anyone, unauthorized, into my work space. And no matter what kind of rules are in place, someone will ALWAYS touch something.
Interesting... I may have to try this sometime. Just for the sake of trying.
Look for a red velvet cookie recipe. Cake recipes do not easily translate to cookie recipes, unless you are VERY good at chemistry. And even then, it will be a completely different recipe, so don't waste your time. There are lots of recipe sites (allrecipes.com, for example) that have lots of recipes to try.
Yeah, she's a pretty cool lady