Posts by MsNeuropil

I hope this thread is ok to post in since no one has commented in a month or more.     One more thing to be concerned about in using this product is the same issue that can occur with any spray on coatings/oils.     As a RN I was taught that there was a potential for a type of pneumonia that is caused by inhalation of said products.  It is a very hard to treat lung disease.  The fine aerosol of oils (and other things I am sure) get way way down into the little sacks...
I tried Gretchen's SMBC 2 times now and it is by far the best tasting buttercream I have ever tried.    I thought my old one was the best..but had issues with piping flowers with it cause it was too soft.    The addition of the small amount of powdered sugar (compared to my old SMBC) was a concern to me...(being diabetic I wanted a little sugar as possible) but think it stabilized the SMBC enabling me to pipe flowers with it....but only after I let it sit in...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYv2_QpEm4   I have been inspired greatly by the cakes by ArtiCakes...but executing has been a bit difficult.  Finally I found a video of another bakery that teaches this technique...but it is in Indonesia...LOL.   The video above..shows them using a paper cone thing that fits on a cone shaped flower nail.  Does anyone have any info on the benefits of using these and if it is possible to even find such a supply.  I don't know if...
I made my sons wedding cake last summer...and I was so worried that his bride and her family were going to be disappointed or even think my cake was silly since the bride told me she wanted me to surprise her.  She didn't want the cake to look like a wedding cake...and she didn't want it stacked or to be in tiers.  My sons famous words were..."Mom if we wanted a wedding cake we could pay buy one...but we want your cake."    HUMMM...what to do?  Stupidly I thought why...
Beautiful Lilies!  Do you use paper cones to form and dry your lilies?  That's the only way I can get a reasonable dry time for mine. They won't dry enough to slip them off the plastic forms in my damp climate.  Maybe if I just used straight gum paste.
Just to clarify...I have Chronic Fatigue Immune Disorder and Fibromyalgia and an autoimmune disorder that causes arthritic symptoms as well problems with eyes and difficulty making tears and saliva.  As long as I can still swallow cake....I am OK...LOL.    But it sucks that I can't eat cornbread or popcorn...so that gives me permission to eat cake instead. 
No of course you should not be embarassed...shingles is just a part of getting older...LOL.  However, most folks don't completely understand this issue and can bad mouth your business using that as a reason to complain if there is some conflict....like they need any reason to get things cheaper.  After reading that forum topic about "Things to not say to a Baker" I can imagine folks can think strange things when it comes to cake and paying for it.   It is amazing to...
My neighbor who is pregnant wondered if I would make her pregnant sister a cake for her sisters shower...and after asking what sort of cake they wanted and amount they had for the budget....I was told they wanted a 2 tier cake (like a picture I had shown her of a wedding cake I made) with a lot of decorations 10 and 8 in and they was wondering if I could do this sort of cake for around $30.00!!   I told them that I didn't have enough experience to do a cake like...
Wow, I was hoping to learn a little bit about the storage of this frosting BEFORE I made it but I guess no one uses it...LOL.    I finally made it and I can tell you this much.  It is not great with refrigeration at all.  Completely unworkable when you store in frig...so you end up having to rework the stuff after softening in microwave and then in the stand mixer so this doesn't appear to be something you would make ahead of time or put on a cake that needs...
I have to butt in here because I worry that you might be preparing food items for others while lesions are still open and the virus is being shedded.    Being an old RN...I know that when patients did come in during a shingles outbreak we did use universal precautions for ourselves such as gloves and gowns whenever we handled even sheets and pillows or gowns  the patient wore.  Although I had immunization due to my childhood chicken pox, I did not want to risk...