Posts by FrostedMoon

Use coconut cream rather than just coconut milk.  Sooooo goood!!!
I want my cupcake toppers to taste as good as they look, so I very rarely use any gumpaste or tylose if I can help it.  You can use 100% fondant (even soft mmf, which is what I use) if you follow these suggestions.   1.  Make them ahead and let them air dry for at least a few days   2.  Don't put the toppers on the cupcakes until the last minute   3.  Don't keep the cupcake toppers in an air tight container & don't keep the cupcakes with the toppers on in an air...
This is an ongoing concern of mine as a home baker.  I am lucky enough to have two talented caking friends in the area who can take orders (and I will take theirs!) if we or our kids are sick.  This is also a big reason why I tend to stick to birthday cake and smaller celebration cakes versus breaking in to the wedding business.  I do not have cake helpers at my house, no helpful family in the area, and a husband that travels pretty regularly.  If a kid wakes up sick, it's...
Thanks!   AZ, also really taking to heart your suggestion for a minimum amount per cake order.  Last week wasn't the norm, but I made the same amount of money with this weekend's two orders as I did with 4 little orders last week and it took me half the week to recover!  Got to get rid of the little stuff.  I want to strive to be more of a quality vs quantity baker.  :D
Thanks for checking in MBalaska, sorry for the delay in responding.   Both orders from this post are in the rear view mirror.  I let that sort of thing go quickly once I vent.   I am not giving up the caking world just yet.  After a crazy busy month I'm working hard to not book a ton of orders and give myself a chance to breath.  Only had two cakes this weekend, no all nighters, and had the kitchen clean before the last order was picked up.  For once on a Sunday I...
My guess is that if you are a scratch baker that they are used to boxed mixes.  I'm sure your cake was great, but if you are used to one and get the other, there can be a bit of a shock.  I've had people call me really concerned about ordering a dry cake after getting cakes from scratch bakers (that I know are really good bakers).  They end up liking my doctored cake mix recipes, so I think that's the difference. Don't let it get to you.
Gotta love the rainbow cake orders!  Either "someone" came to his or her senses or they didn't exist!  I charge extra for rainbow cakes.  It's on my PIA list along with Minecraft cakes and chevron!  Lately I feel like the only thing worse than a rainbow cake is a Frozen themed rainbow cake!!  Bah ha ha!
20/20 hindsight always sees better, doesn't it?   While it's nice, I don't do cakes just for the ego stroke.  I wanted something that is mine.  Something that I can work on and excel at.  Something that made ME happy.  No you don't need a business for that, and using 20/20 hindsight I certainly would have waited a few years to officially go in to business, but that didn't happen.  Now I need to figure out what to do.  Can I get enough stuff for orders done during the...
Some very good points!  Thank you!   Making cakes does not pay the bills for us, nor does it significantly affect our financial situation as it's a pretty small percentage of our income.  If I needed to bring in money, I would most likely return to the career I had prior to having kids.  However, I chose to be a stay at home mom and that is my priority.  Almost 2.5 years ago I started this business because I had lost my identity in being a mom and I needed something that...
I have gotten to the point where if I don't mark off a weekend and decline orders I won't have a weekend off for months.  I'm thrilled that my business is successful, and yet I'm worn down and burned out and my husband is annoyed I'm always working on the weekends.  I thought once both my kids were in school full day (just started about a week and a half ago) that I could do more work during the typical work day, but I still find myself up at night & working all...