Posts by FrostedMoon

20/20 hindsight always sees better, doesn't it?   While it's nice, I don't do cakes just for the ego stroke.  I wanted something that is mine.  Something that I can work on and excel at.  Something that made ME happy.  No you don't need a business for that, and using 20/20 hindsight I certainly would have waited a few years to officially go in to business, but that didn't happen.  Now I need to figure out what to do.  Can I get enough stuff for orders done during the...
Some very good points!  Thank you!   Making cakes does not pay the bills for us, nor does it significantly affect our financial situation as it's a pretty small percentage of our income.  If I needed to bring in money, I would most likely return to the career I had prior to having kids.  However, I chose to be a stay at home mom and that is my priority.  Almost 2.5 years ago I started this business because I had lost my identity in being a mom and I needed something that...
I have gotten to the point where if I don't mark off a weekend and decline orders I won't have a weekend off for months.  I'm thrilled that my business is successful, and yet I'm worn down and burned out and my husband is annoyed I'm always working on the weekends.  I thought once both my kids were in school full day (just started about a week and a half ago) that I could do more work during the typical work day, but I still find myself up at night & working all...
I use americolor royal blue plus a tiny bit of black.
Yay!  So glad the weather was in you favor!  The cake looks gorgeous!  Well done!
The option with dummy cakes doesn't sound like it should be cheaper to me.  You still have to cover & decorate the dummies, and then you have to do the sheet cake, too.   I personally wouldn't offer the $90 buy back.  What if they come back damaged, or you get only part of what was used?  Will you feel comfortable telling her she can't have her money back?   $2.50 a serving sounds on the low side to me for a fondant covered cake, but I get that's what you are offering...
Now THAT I could do on a topsy turvy!!     Thankfully she is scrapping the idea of a topsy turvy and seems to be very open to my design ideas. Yay! Thanks everyone!
You could do a page full of different nines printed out in different sizes and fonts and then use it to pipe and freeze like a buttercream transfer.  I think they would be fragile & I would do a lot to compensate for breakage, but I think it's possible.  It will definitely take longer than piping straight on, but I think it could look very cool!
That is what I am thinking, but I still don't love the idea.  The client sent me a picture of chevron on a straight tier, so I'm thinking she wasn't really aware of how it would look different on a topsy turvy.  Currently trying to convince her to either do a different pattern on a topsy turvy or do chevron on a straight cake.  Thanks for the input!
Hi!   I have a customer asking for a 2 tiered topsy turvy cake.  She wants one tier to have polka dots and the other to have chevron stripes.  I'm struggling with that as I would want the chevron stripes to be completely even, but on a topsy turvy there would be more stripes on one side than another.  I guess I could do the chevron stripes to match the the angle of the tier, but it is going against my need for balance in designs!  What would you do?   Thanks!