Posts by remnant3333

This is the recipe I use below. 2/3 cup shortening(Crisco sold in bars like butter) 22 tablespoons butter 1/ 4 to 1/2 cup Liquid heavy whipping cream 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 pounds (4cups) 10X sugar (I use maybe 3 cups)   If you only did cupcakes you may only need half of my ingredients. I start out with 1/4 cup of whipping cream and only add more if icing is too thick. Also you can add corn syrup about 1 tablespoon to making icing have more...
You should either use 1M or 2D tip. Also your frosting might have been a little too runny and should have been thicker. What frosting recipe did you use? Here is a video showing 4 techniques to do cupcakes below. Don't give up maybe it was your icing recipe was not thick enough!!! If you are using the frosting that comes in the can like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker then it is not thick enough for the below kind of piping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYy2uiK6T94  
Sorry this happened to your cake. It was a very pretty cake and I know a lot of time went into making it. I know it is pretty upsetting. I agree that you should always make people sign a waiver that once you give them the cake and if something happens it is not your fault.  Looks like to me that someone either slammed on brakes, dropped it or turned a corner a little too fast. I do not think it had anything to do with your cake being unstable!!! Let us know what...
Try this below and watch each video!! She tells which decorator tip to use for each cake while showing how to hold the tip with bag to make the flowers. Good luck http://seriouscakes.com/wordpress/?page_id=16
I think of Mr. or Mrs. Potato Head when you say potatoes. I am sure other people will have some better ideas. I have not worked with fondant before but there are plenty of experts here that can help you.  Good luck/Mary http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=mr.+potato+head+cakes&ei=UTF-8&fr=chrf-tyc8
I remember seeing a video on you tube on how to do the heart shape cake!! I have not tried it yet but am looking to try next month!!! Who needs another pan if the square pan and the same size round pan will make the same heart cake? I have too many pans now in my kitchen so this idea is perfect for me!!! Thanks for reminding me about how to make a heart cake since I had forgotten about it!!!
Amazing about the Wilton tips messing up and making the icing curl!!  I remember one time someone telling me that all the Wilton leaf tips (67,70,113,115) with exception of 352 tip needed to be lightly stretched and opened up a smidgen because when piping the leaf tips it would always cut off the end of the leaf into an irregular shape instead of a pointed end. I had to open my leaf tips like they suggested and it pipes correctly now!!  I have one question.  Do the...
Howsweet,  WOW!!  A bakery that sells food that is growing mold? It is a wonder that they have not been shut down yet. It is pretty gross that they never cleaned the place.  Don't they have health food inspectors that come around and check out these bakeries? What state was this bakery in? You have to keep your kitchen spotless and clean up as you go otherwise you are feeding the roaches and they would be breeding like crazy. Yuck!!!   I remember my husband telling...
Sorry you are having to go through this. I have never heard of this before. Hopefully the gloves will help you.
I am sure it is hard to find good help now a days but not everyone is a bad employee.  The bad apples in the bunch ruin it for the few good apples who truly try to do their best!!! The bad ones come a dime a dozen but if and when you have a faithful employee you better hold on to them and treat them right because they are few and far in between to find!!