Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

"Nothing too complicated," she says.If that's your idea of "nothing too complicated, . . ."(My Apollo Day cake is still waiting to be baked, frosted, and the edible print mounted.)
Hmm. I've never Pfeil and Holed. How exactly does one Pfeil and Hole?(Couldn't resist that old chestnut, which was originally about Kipling, and also works for Joplin.)
Dunno. I got the impression that the OP was looking for 50-pound bags of the stuff.
Another helpful tip: "storage" or "freezer" weight zip-top food bags, with a corner cut out, make good, serviceable, piping bags. "Sandwich" weight zip-top bags, and old-fashioned "Baggies," do NOT; they WILL blow out.
When I was much younger, chow mein noodles bound into clusters with the melted "Toll House morsels" of your choice (not being a chocolate eater, I opted for butterscotch) were a popular homemade confection. Haven't seen them in years.
Yes. Or as Alton would say, plastic glitter is definitely NOT "Good Eats."
Or if you want top quality, and are willing to pay for it, coppergifts.com (although they don't stock Greek letters) will make anything you need. For a price. I consider them the Rolls Royce (or in the case of custom jobs, the Lamborghini) of cookie cutters. Some years ago, when I was unable to find a replacement for a worn-out (and evidently discarded) cutter in a shape I can only describe as an "integral sign," that was the perfect shape and size for my mother's famous...
Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts (myself included). You'll get along just fine as long as you remember that Disco Dust is not food, and as long as you remember the first two rules about edible printing: Personally, if I'm going to pipe something, I make it as stiff as I can, and still get it to pass through the tip (if it comes out in pieces, it's a little too stiff; if it blows a hole in the side of the bag, it's way too stiff). And I'm sure there...
And regarding toppers, you definitely need to know how much weight you're going to be supporting. Many years ago, at my late aunt's second wedding, she insisted on a ceramic Precious MomentsTM topper (that may or may not have been intended for the purpose), and the cake couldn't support its weight. (As I recall, it slid off, making a mess of the cake.)
FWIW, The technical term for "The back and the part that stands up" is "backbox," the faceplate of which is called a "back-glass" or "backflash."   And if you want to make it edible, you could always use some sort of cookie or cracker.