Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

If the local baker said that, then that would be a red flag to NEVER do business of ANY KIND with that baker, nor send ANYBODY there for ANYTHING. Food safety is NOT something to play fast-and-loose with.   If it's intended to be edible, do it right (a cake supply dealer, rather than a baker, would be the preferred place to farm out edible printing). And if it's not intended to be edible, then (1) make it physically impossible to eat it, and (2) isolate it from the cake.
As I was saying,-- Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, original uncensored edition (New York: Knopf, 1964), Page 113.The faces on your cupcakes reminded me of the faces on the Square Candies that Look Round. So much so, that I half expect them to start "looking round."Glad to see that you stuck with the project, didn't let it scare you off, and (at least from the looks of it) nailed it.
I'm alluding to the faces.   In the book, the "Square Candies that Look Round" are square candies with faces painted on them (we see the Oompa-Loompas painting the faces, through the window in the door to the room where this is happening). After Wonka milks it for several paragraphs, and at least one of the children on the tour insists that they look square, somebody opens the door, and the square candies come to life, turning their faces this way and that, until they...
For some reason, I suddenly find myself thinking about the "Square Candies that Look Round" gag, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (I forget: did that one make it into either movie?)
Thanks. I downloaded the cards from Wikimedia Commons (the spot cards and the outer frames of the face cards are from the "Open Clip Art" collection, and are offered as SVGs or as PNGs at any arbitrary size; since I didn't care for the pictures on the face cards, I substituted more traditional ones, also from Wikimedia Commons. And I did the 5 of hearts and 2 of spades at a much larger size than the rest of the cards.Then I just pasted them randomly into a blank green...
Flowers came in a box marked "Wilton," set on hand-piped leaves. They were leftovers from Mothers Day (and I still have a couple of the daisy-looking things left). And then, yesterday, I was so rushed getting my own cake together (see this week's FNCC) that piped borders (or even nice straight edges) had to be jettisoned for want of time.
Uh, let me get this straight: you're not a professional, and don't do this full-time? I never would have guessed that, from the pictures.You've just given some plausibility to an element of a novel I've been working on, off-and-on (mostly "off," lately), for almost 2 decades: it seems that my protagonist (a child prodigy organist), when she gets married (to a trumpeter), gets a wedding cake baked by family members, in the church kitchen, rather than by professionals....
Nice to see it's not just my somewhat superannuated browser (Firefox 3.5.19, the last release of FF that runs on PowerPC-based Macs) that's got the left-side cutoff issue. You've got a legitimate problem, but it's a problem you can solve. Although your machine-generated HTML is not exactly easy to follow. Remember: HTML isn't rocket science, or molecular biology, or brain surgery, and learning to hand-code it will give you a much more browser-universal web site. When I'm...
My own 52nd birthday cake. A bit of a rush-job at the end: I'd planned on baking it yesterday, and decorating it this evening, but about 10 PM last night, I realized that I didn't have the mix, or enough eggs. Edible printing, of course, on a DH spice cake, with maple-cinnamon BC. What could be more appropriate for my 52nd birthday, than "52-pickup." And I'm still playing with a full deck. 52nd Birthday cake.jpg by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr I was taken a bit off-guard...
I tried it from home. First the good news: over a roughly 44k dial-up connection, your home page loads in no more than a minute and a half. I think that's faster than even my home page. Now the bad news: for some reason, the left sidebar gets pushed completely off the left side of my browser window unless I expand it to considerably wider than my 1040x768 screen. In my experience, that's the result of trying to exert too much control over how the browser renders the page,...