Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

"DeniseNH" and "AZCouture": I think that may be one of the reasons why my friend in the video business gave up doing weddings.   But back on topic: Hmm. $160 entry fee for a $250 prize. So the winner has a net gain of $90, and the event organizer has a net gain of $160 and 500 free cupcakes PER ENTRY.   Sounds like a great deal. For the event organizer.
Well, you could always calculate the surface area.
I vaguely recall seeing something like this. In an old Beetle Bailey strip. As I recall, Sarge, in defiance of a warning from Cookie, sneaked a slice of the General's cake, in the manner described, and in the final frame, the General noticed the odd elliptical shape of the cake.
Still, for the benefit of any newbies reading the thread, what both of us said about dedicated edible-ink-only printers cannot possibly be repeated enough times. Even one person getting sick because somebody, whether out of ignorance or out of indifference, neglected to follow that rule, is too many. (And I did say, "you probably already know the first two rules of edible printing.")   And now you also know that for anything as delicate as computer hardware, you probably...
 Then you're in an excellent position to continue doing it in-house, and you probably already know the first two rules of edible printing: The first rule of edible printing is that you do not use the same printer for edible and conventional inks.The second rule of edible printing is that you do NOT use the same printer for edible and conventional inks. (And you still don't talk about Fight Club. And why do I keep alluding to a movie I've never actually seen?) I, on the...
I farm my edible printing out to the cake supply shop.
And if you decide to get into edible printing in-house (rather than farming it out to the local cake supply shop), remember the first two rules of edible printing: 1. You do not run conventional ink in the same printer you use for edible printing. 2. You do NOT run conventional ink in the same printer you use for edible printing. (And you still don't talk about Fight Club. -- I keep alluding to a movie I've never actually seen!)
One other thing to remember: if you're doing multiple cakes with edible printing, or a cake with multiple images, and none require a full page, there's nothing stopping you from combining the images onto a single sheet. Or if the image(s) for a single cake don't fill a sheet, there's nothing stopping you from having spares made. In fact, if you're just getting started with edible printing, and farming it out, you're probably better off having a spare of everything.
Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts. I think you'll find that there are people here at all skill levels, with lots of questions, and lots of answers.   And to try and steer this a little more on-topic, there's an institution here called the "Friday Night Cake Club," that's kind of like David Letterman's "Stupid Pet Tricks," in that it's an exhibition, not a competition; it's a place to show off cakes you've done recently, where they might be...
In a situation like that, where I figure that I'd be asking a merchant to, in effect, compete with his or her own core business, I'm way too shy to even ask.   And the one time I did go to a baker (on a referral from a cake supply shop that was evidently in the process of quietly going belly-up, and whose edible printing rig had preceded it to that state), it turned out to be a rinky-dink bakery/florist/bridal supply operation in a not-too-pleasant neighborhood, and...