Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

Caned beets? You get the juice out of beets by whacking them with a cane?!?   Or did you mean "canned beets"? Oh. That's very different. Nevermind.
All part of the service. Last night, I was watching the "Bobby Flay Throwdown" with "Cake Man Raven" and his red velvet cake. Interesting result: the judges marginally preferred Flay's somewhat less intensely red, slightly more cocoa-heavy cake to Raven's cake; Flay was apparently surprised, as he (and most of the "civilians") gave Raven's cake the nod. Personally, I don't find either one especially appetizing: on top of my 45-year-old cultivated loathing for chocolate, I...
The rips in the edible print are much more visible on the actual cake (or the picture at full resolution; as a matter of policy, I never send camera-resolution images anywhere other than my color laser printer or one of the digital print carrels at the local camera shop). If I were actually doing this professionally, I would undoubtedly have a sufficient assortment of food colorings to where I could paint over the rips, and if I were doing it for company, or for my office,...
Not the first time I've used that phrase in this thread.
3-tiered cake for $50?   Uh, that would buy the customer a 9" pan, a 6" pan, a 3" pan, a box mix, and a pound of powdered sugar, I suppose. "Some assembly required."
Did anybody happen to catch Letterman last night?
I was able to get it to line up reasonably well, with a small fragment stuck to my finger being about all that didn't make it onto the cake. I think the wrinkling was the result of having just about every available finger working to get it into place. I vividly remember being disappointed with the lunar surface TV being black and white (the camera aboard the CM was color, and there is color footage, whether from Apollo 11 or from another Saturn V flight, of the first...
Happy Apollo Day. Apollo Day 2014.jpg by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr HERE MEN FROM THE PLANET EARTH FIRST SET FOOT UPON THE MOON JULY 1969 A.D. WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND This time, the edible print ripped and wrinkled a bit, right between the caption and the inset of the ladder-leg plaque. I got it a bit crooked, to boot, but the way it was fighting me, I consider myself lucky I was able to get it in place with as little visible damage as there...
"Nothing too complicated," she says.If that's your idea of "nothing too complicated, . . ."(My Apollo Day cake is still waiting to be baked, frosted, and the edible print mounted.)
Hmm. I've never Pfeil and Holed. How exactly does one Pfeil and Hole?(Couldn't resist that old chestnut, which was originally about Kipling, and also works for Joplin.)