Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

Cardboard (albeit in a somewhat smaller size than you suggested, in my case) is all fine and dandy if one is selling the cake, and doesn't expect to see the container again, but I was looking at things more along the line of http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=BFB486EA-802D-F658-02B38E82FDA40AB1&killnav=1orhttp://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/specialty?productId=10023954&N=74066 which are decidedly non-cheap (especially after what I just spent...
And actually, I can carry -- or toss around -- a cake in that nice covered Nordic Ware pan as if it were a football; it's that secure. As I recall, the only cake carriers I could find to accommodate a 9x13 were part of a set, with most of the parts designed to accommodate a -load of cupcakes.
Thank you. I try.Believe me, I've thought of it. When I was much younger, I baked a sheet cake from a recipe that used to be on the Bisquick box, depanned it, and served it on an inverted cookie sheet*. And I haven't exactly got a choice with my dad's birthday cakes: what would be the point of baking a pound cake in a Bundt mold if you weren't planning on depanning? On at least one occasion, I've even depanned a 9x13 sheet cake, just to check the thickness, even though the...
Ok. Here is last year's Leland Award cake. Note how the lettering was rather uneven in size.   And now, this year's cake, and the recipient, Michael Powe, with both the trophy and the cake: Note how the lettering, while I couldn't get it as dark, is at least neater (although I now notice that the "rd" in "Award" is just a bit shrunken), and how I did a better way of troweling the frosting smooth, and at least attempted to apply "The Family Pattern" to it.   It was...
Laid across the cake, stretched between toothpicks. Not a perfect solution yet, because I couldn't quite maintain the tension, but better than freehand. Then scribe the letters into the frosting, just deep enough to know where you're piping. And as to cocoa powder, well, (1) I don't eat chocolate, and (2) it would fight with the flavors that are already present.
I ended up just doing base and cap-height lines, and the x-height and the one descender (on a non-lining "3" in "2013") managed to take care of themselves. But the dental floss worked, and I now have a roll of unwaxed dental floss in the utensil drawer (it's of little use in the bathroom; for normal use, I prefer cinnamon-waxed!) And I ended up scribing, rather than stippling, the letters in with the toothpick. Not perfect, but I think it's an improvement on last year....
I agree. Nice work. Far more ambitious than anything I've ever done (even the shortbread cookies I made in the likeness of ink-stained wood display type, last year).   This is the first I've seen of this thread; if I'd seen it earlier, I'd have suggested something along the lines of "MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark, all the sweet green icing's flowing down . . ."
"Maplene" is an artificial maple flavoring (it may indeed be a trademarked brand name), that's never been in the same room with a maple tree (I remember looking at the ingredient list).   Maple syrup and maple sugar, on the other hand, are simple (if extreme) reductions of the sap of the sugar maple tree.   There are at least three grading systems for maple syrup: Canadian, U.S., and Vermont. They're all fairly similar, and have nothing to do with quality, and...
Agreed: I knew the equine was deceased when I flogged it, and that's the last flogging it gets from me, at least on this thread.
I think I like my dental floss idea better: a few feet of dental floss, and a few toothpicks, are a lot cheaper than multiple laser levels.