Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

I'm also curious about what you ended up using, "Number2daughter."   And "vonscakes87," disco dust is the subject of multiple flame-wars on this board, most of them quite lengthy and/or vicious. My understanding is that it's an inert plastic glitter, technically non-toxic, but that, by itself, definitely doesn't make it "Good Eats" (and so far as we've been able to determine, it's never been approved as a food additive, and let's face it, there are plenty of things that...
Hmm. I've only had to do dairy-free once with cookies (used Earth Balance instead of my usual 50/50 mix of butter and margarine), and once with frosting (a single cupcake, for a dairy-allergic colleague, frosted with a dairy-free maple-cinnamon glaze that, as I recall, consisted of nothing but powdered sugar, Vermont Grade B, and cinnamon).
I still think "smash cake" sounds like something that would happen in the course of one of Leo Gallagher's "Sledge-O-Matic" bits. ("Pound cake? I guess it DOES!")
Baking each tier in a different flavor, so guests can have a choice, is easy. Getting venue wait-staff to actually GIVE guests a choice, at least from what I hear (was it this thread, or another), THAT's hard!
American Heritage Dictionary (on Yahoo): A dabbler in an art or a field of knowledge.   Merriam-Webster: a person whose interest in an art or in an area of knowledge is not very deep or serious.   Dictionary.com: a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, especially in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.   I first began so-describing myself on the PIPORG-L list, because I was frequently being mistaken for an expert. But it really...
No "reprimand" was intended; a request for an after-hours consultation is certainly a legitimate annoyance, no matter what the reason. I was simply both puzzled and slightly amused that "kblickster" seemed to object to the customer's reason for wanting (and being willing to pay for) an after-hours consultation. I make my living as a programmer. The software I write runs on multi-user systems. And as such, it's hardly unusual for me to be asked -- or to volunteer -- to stay...
And you find that disturbing why? I don't go to ballgames myself, but I do go to a great many concerts throughout the year. There are some concerts for which I would "exercise subscriber privilege" and exchange the ticket, in the event of a time conflict (e.g., I once exchanged a ticket for organist Cameron Carpenter at Disney Hall, simply because it fell on Mothers Day, and I refuse to be away from my mother all evening that day), but if I were to, say, fall into tickets,...
I was kind of wondering about that. I didn't want to call attention to it myself without being able to offer a solution.
Hmm. A "Corpse Bride" motif. Please tell me the toast wasn't a cup of poison.
Far more ambitious than anything I've ever attempted. And they certainly look successful to me.