Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

I'm guessing that Erin (of the skull cake) is a bit of a goth? Maybe a "cheerful goth" like Dethany Dendrobia, from the comic strip, On the Fastrack? All the cakes look good. And that "Thomas" cake is most remarkable indeed. And Cat, hang in there. Your nephew is in my prayers, that the doctors are able to get his condition under control. As advertised, all I baked was a small batch of my mother's famous shortbreads, as thank-you gifts for the Linotype operator who...
Actually, something like that happened to me, with the cake I baked for my parents' 55th wedding anniversary.   You may recall, it was a 9x13 sheet cake with a speed limit sign on it (what could possibly be more obvious for "55"?), via edible printing, served in-pan. When we had to cancel a visit from the neighbors, the evening of the anniversary, I cut around the sign, hoping that the neighbors would make it the next evening. That continued for a few days. Eventually,...
The cookies will of course be my mother's famous shortbreads.
Hmm. Was it served chilled? As usual, everything looks really good (and way beyond my pay grade). On a more serious (indeed somber) note, probably nothing from me for a while. Much of what I've been doing in the kitchen for the past few months was to keep my mother (dying of COPD) interested enough in food to consume an adequate number of calories. Sadly, a week ago last Saturday, she passed beyond the need to consume any calories at all, and I think probably the next bit...
Perhaps she was simply having trouble finding a tactful way of telling you you'd lost the gig. (I do my best to assume the best of people, unless they go out of their way to make that impossible.)
Hmm. Could always use cornstarch. Or arrowroot. Or just reduce the jus until it doesn't need thickeners (but by that point, it would probably be like sucking on a bouillon cube). Note: We're within 200 posts of the 3000 mark.
Speaking of wrinkles, the edible print for my Apollo Day cake didn't just rip; it wrinkled around the rip, where I was struggling to make it as inconspicuous as possible. As I said, yours turned out very well indeed (and now that I know you're doing it yourself, rather than farming it out, I guess you pretty much can have all the spares you need, on demand, which should make it a little less dicey for you than it is for me, if things start going wrong). One thought, if I...
It looks at least as successful as my "Leland Awards" cakes, or my "52 Pick-Up" cake from my birthday this year, and a good deal more successful than my 51st birthday cake, or the one I made for the 45th anniversary of the first Moon landing. And I'm sure you've already heard something to this effect, but it bears repeating, for the sake of food safety, whenever anybody first enters this realm (so don't feel like you're being singled out), particularly if they're doing it...
Depending on the exact type of edible printing media used, you may or may not need to chill it before peeling. Some materials (DecoPac's, for one) should most definitely be chilled in the freezer, while others (the stuff my current cake supply shop uses, for one) aren't significantly affected by being chilled. If it's your first time, it might be a good idea to have a spare edible print on hand, especially if it's the kind of media that doesn't become stiff when...
I agree wholeheartedly with you, "KellyKSD," on the "baby" cakes (are they "cellular peptide" cakes, "with mint frosting"?). That and "pregnant belly" cakes. Hell, I'm not exactly thrilled with putting an edible photograph of a person on a cake.   I wish I could find some instantly recognizable section of MacArthur Park, with trees (as in "old men playing checkers by . . . "), that's small enough to fit on top of an 8" square layer cake, at a large enough scale to have...