Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

Uh, no. Haven't you noticed my avatar? Have a look at the relevant page of my web site.  Uh, the room full of squirrels sorting nuts came from the original novel. I have an old enough edition that the Oompa-Loompas were a tribe of cacao-bean-craving African pygmies, although I understand that there are still older editions with some name changes.
So let's see some of your work.
I think that if you look at the cakes shown in my Flickr "Baked Goods" set (link in signature), they might make you feel a little less inadequate.   By way of analogy: I am, at age 51, a student musician. I began junior college piano classes in my late 40s, with the first semester followed almost immediately by private organ lessons (yes, I do mean like in real pipes).   As a musician, I will likely remain a ham-handed beginner for the rest of my natural life. But...
As I say to newbies introducing themselves on PIPORG-L (and occasionally also to newbies introducing themselves on Fountain Pen Network), Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts. Seriously, you'll find a mix of professionals and amateurs on here, with every possible skill level, from those who make their living creating elaborate wedding cakes, to those of us who mainly bake single-layer sheet cakes, 9x13 and smaller, served in-pan. You'll find people who...
Hmm. I've not done a WASC myself (I honestly can't see how sour cream would improve a cake, and if I'm doctoring the flavor, it's either for my strawberry marble, or [maybe] to intensify a spice cake, and I can't see how almond emulsion would be of any use for either of those), but when I add (or remove) 1/3 BOX (by weight) of additional mix to adjust the batter volume, I also increase (or decrease) all other ingredients by 1/3.
Well (and keep in mind that I'm the guy who mostly bakes 9x13 single-layer sheet cakes, and serves them in-pan), my reaction to the Christmas cake is a flabbergasted "THAT's a CAKE!?!" And I'd agree with you on the BC. It looks like it would be perfect if you're actually going for the "rustic stucco" look, but not if you're looking for perfectly smooth. (And when I end up with rustic stucco, it's never been by design.) I'll also say that the pointilistic decorating motif,...
As I say to newbies introducing themselves on PIPORG-L (and occasionally also to newbies introducing themselves on Fountain Pen Network), Welcome to the squirrel-cage, and look out for the nuts. Seriously, you'll find a mix of professionals and amateurs on here, with every possible skill level, from those who make their living creating elaborate wedding cakes, to those of us who mainly bake single-layer sheet cakes, 9x13 and smaller, served in-pan. You'll find people who...
Have we run out of things not to say?
Electronic imaging sensors have been having trouble with subtle shades of blue and purple for a very long time. Even on professional equipment.My best friend is a videographer, who specializes in figure skating competitions. Over 20 years ago, I was working a video crew with him, at a skating competition in Palm Desert. He was using what is still, hands-down, the best standard definition video camera for "difficult" lighting situations ever made: an Ikegami HL-55 (he's...
You get no arguments from me on that, "MBalaska." Except that in the case of the Printing Museum (where I donate thousands of dollars worth of my time each year, and make in-kind donations of materials without batting an eye), I feel that I can trust them: so far, the only times I haven't been reimbursed for materials I've bought for projects is when I declined to ask for reimbursement. My point was that except for a few experimental batches, I didn't even begin the wood...