Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

I think everybody here is ignoring the elephant in the room:   WHICH anniversary is it, and WHAT IS THE TRADITIONAL GIFT for it? And what OTHER SIGNIFICANCE is there to the number?   For example, consider the 55th anniversary. The traditional gift is emeralds. I couldn't afford emeralds, but I bought a long, narrow picture frame, a simple triptych matte to fit it (or maybe the matte came with the frame), and some metallic emerald green spray lacquer, and put a band of...
Put me down as being with "MBalaska."   I'm a programmer, by trade. I'm also a student musician (if I continue organ lessons [yes, real pipes!] indefinitely, I'll most likely remain a ham-handed beginner for the rest of my natural life), a typesetter, a photographer, a model railroader, a writer, and dozens of other things.   My activities in the kitchen (not just cakes, but cookies, as well as a chicken casserole, a turkey loaf, turkey schnitzel, scalloped potatoes,...
Wikimedia Commons is your friend.
Yes. Now if cakes actually could get "knocked-up" (presumably in dark refrigerators) it would solve a lot of problems.
 I would have expected a certain amount of rivalry between Memphis and Nashville.
Speaking of the largest species of deer, I'm still convinced that an excellent novelty dessert (at least for those who eat chocolate, and like their desserts rich) would be a hollow chocolate moose filled with chocolate mousse.
In the position shown at upper right, it looks rather like a side-view of a moose-head, hanging on a wall.   I think what you REALLY have is a Rorschach-test cookie cutter.
Given that I only have two cookie cutters that I actually use (the integral sign for shortbreads, and the backwards eighth-note for Scandinavian gingersnaps [which works out rather convenient, since they're so thin, it's safer to flip them onto the cookie sheet, rather than slide them, thereby putting the head, stem, and flag in the correct relative positions]), they just live in my silverware drawer.   Oh, and then there's that set of alphabet cookie cutters. They just...
New Year's Eve:   I have vague memories of when Johnny Carson taped late enough on New Year's Eve to go out live to the East Coast, and include a live Times Square remote at midnight. Then I remember watching just enough of Guy Lombardo's program to catch the live-to-the-East-Coast remote.   In my family, New Year's Day was always a much bigger thing than New Year's Eve: we're teetotalers, and heavy drinking isn't exactly a very entertaining spectator sport; besides...
Having just visited the Foldabox website, I get the feeling that if I were to go over to The Container Store on my lunch break today, and look at the boxes to which I refer, I might find a discreet "Foldabox" logo: I see things there that look like exact matches for what The Container Store carries, and I see that Foldabox has a whole "Bespoke" department that would explain not only the striped ones at The Container Store, but a number of other things I've seen there, that...