Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

Actually, during most of my mother's last seven months in this universe (and certainly her last four), cake practically WAS an everyday food around here. I was doing my part to make those final months as pleasant and interesting from a culinary standpoint as possible.
Hmm. Or as Sherlock Holmes said-- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Problem of Thor Bridge," The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
Hmm. Makes me even more inclined to stick with my dense, hand-blended ABC. And mostly pastel colors.
When I did my first Leland Awards cake, the edible printing worked out beautifully, but the hand-piped lettering was, to my eyes, a disaster that I simply had no time to correct. The folks at the Printing Museum, however, loved it. When I did my 51st birthday cake, with the "Emergency!" theme, I knew I didn't have anywhere near the time or the skills to recognizably sculpt (or even hand-pipe) an L.A. County Rescue Squad, or a Ward LaFrance P80 fire engine, or the real...
Well, better canned frosting than trying to make a frosting in a flavor you neither like nor eat, and therefore have no way to judge. That's why when I bake a chocolate cake (which I will probably never do again, given that I only made them for my mother) I always use canned frosting.
. . . wafer paper, or frosting sheets, or whatever other edible printing media they use.   I was a little surprised when I did a Google Maps search for "cake supplies" near Vegas, and didn't find a whole lot.
More than half a lifetime ago, I read about it in a late-1960s or early-1970s Betty Crocker Cookbook. Then I did a few. Then, around 1989, when I was working for another software company, and had every reason to think I'd succeeded in making the product that had been dumped in my lap was finally safe for the end-users (it wasn't, and never would be, but I walked out without ever convincing management it would never be), I baked one of those little microwave cakes to...
Well, that's why you use Grade B for cooking: it's the most strongly flavored of the four common grades. "Fancy" ("A-Light Amber" if not on the Vermont system) is the most subtle; "A-Medium Amber" and "A-Dark Amber" are intermediate grades, and maple grading has absolutely nothing to do with quality.
EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!! Ersatz maple?!?? GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRROSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!You want maple for cooking, get some farm-bottled Vermont Grade B!
how come we don't have a "vomit" emoticon here? Real maple syrup (as opposed to the fake swill that costs a fraction of the price) is generally regarded as one of the healthiest of sweeteners. (Does anybody else here share the revulsion I've had for the "Log Cabin" brand since they started putting stuff that's 96% fake in the same type of bottle that's most commonly used for farm-bottled maple?)