Posts by hbquikcomjamesl

Barney? Barney who? Barney Rubble? Barney Fife? Barney Google? Barney ******? On a more serious note, tonight is when I begin baking for my mother's memorial service. First up: two double batches of her famous shortbreads (one tonight, one tomorrow night), since they have the longest shelf-life. Then the gingerbread. After testing a cheap foil 9x13 with a domed plastic cover from Dollar Tree, to see if it will fit, lid and all, in a 2 1/2 gallon zip-top bag, I bought three...
Quote: Hmm. The late George Carlin did a whole routine on blue food.
Yes, I found plenty of faults with Gary's retirement cake -- that I ended up using "Betty Crocker Writing Gel" instead of buying the appropriate colors and making up gray and black BC, that the stick was a piped outline when I could have troweled in some gray, or had some edible printing done, that the tube of writing gel wasn't as fine as my finest piping tip, and so the piping was even coarser than my piping usually is, &c., &c.   But the bottom line for me is that it...
Hmm. A lovely concept, and very well executed. How did you make the bicycle?   The slight irregularities in the BC (I'd call them "trowel-marks' if it were one of my own cakes), if anything, actually make the sky look more realistic: like there are a few thin stratus and/or cirrus clouds as well as the cottony masses of cumulus clouds. Only the clearest of skies are completely without texture.   So don't sweat being "no master of smoothing buttercream"; probably not...
Of course, most of the people on this board have probably never seen a composing stick before, and certainly haven't spent time shoving foundry (and/or wood) type into one. And probably don't know the two reasons why the type goes into a stick upside down, left-to-right, instead of right side up, right to left.(1. something that's inherently wrong-reading is easier for most people to read if they read it upside down, and 2. if you set the type upside down, you can usually...
Just remember: the best weapon to use for getting rid of a zombie is a tall glass.
The cake was a big hit at the retirement party this evening. And the "writing gel" didn't slump much at all, certainly not to a point of illegibility.
So far, so good. Anybody involved in letterpress, flexographic, or intaglio printing will tell you that it's much easier to read something that's wrong-reading if you read it upside down.Which is why, for the gathering after the memorial service, I'll be baking 2 double batches of shortbreads, and probably 4 9x13 sheets of gingerbread. (And I think I solved the transport problem on the gingerbread: I found some 9x13 foil pans with domed vacuformed plastic lids [to deal...
My first cake since my mother died: tomorrow evening, we're having a retirement party for one of the few paid staff members at the Printing Museum. Farewell Gary by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr Gary's name is upside down, wrong-reading, and enclosed in an odd contraption because that's what type looks like in a composing stick. For reference, see this picture from the Wikimedia Commons, by Willi Heidelbach (click for larger version): Lacking a jar of black food coloring,...
Hmm. I would imagine that RKT would make a rather nice stone arch bridge. Or stone arch viaduct (i dunno why a duck. Why a duck?)